OT: Wicks Pipe Organ FS in St. Louis

sheltie dave

Not related to the seller, etc. There is a huge Wicks organ in the cathedral in Peoria, where I grew up, and the company is still in business over in Highland, IL. I know we have at least a few pipe organ lovers on the forum...

Antique (1926) Wick's Pipe Organ, wonderful condition - $3500

Call Mary and Charlie at (636) 529-1158 for more information and to view the organ. Wonderful Condition Antique (1926) Wick's Pipe Organ: 2 Manuals (2 keyboards); 2 Ranks (1 Flute, 1 Strings); Full Pedal Board; Walnut wood; Refurbished in 1975; Original wiring intact; Unified: 16, 8, 4, 2, 2 2/3. Will come with DC electrical current box, resevoir, and blower. Price does not include dismantle, moving, and install.

this is in or around Florissant, 63033

St. Mary's, Maron. It is downtown, and is the prominent stone church on the right(east) side of I-74 just after the first exit in downtown, which would place it south of St. Francis hospital by about four blocks, and about six blocks east of Caterpillar world headquarters.

A couple friends in town here debate every other month whether the Wicks in Peoria is the best in the country, and it makes me feel a little dumb. I got to hear it at least once a month growing up, and never gave it a second thought.

The other interesting part of the story...during WW2, Wicks was asked by the government to help with airplane manufacturing, and to this day has a very profitable aircraft parts business alongside the organ stuff. In some years, the aircraft company kept the organ company above water.

Dave,

I don't expect there to be a line around the corner hoping to buy the Wicks. Their early offerings had a terrible flaw. When the armature that controlled the valve was released, the enertia caused the valve to bounce against the seat. You got a stutter after the release of each note. It was particularly bad on the reeds, and the trumpet was the worst offender.

On the other hand, Wicks was noted for its reliability and longevity.

This particular model is small enough to fit in a modest home music room. The turbine blower would have to be replaced. They sounded like a gravel crusher!

My old firm, Casavant Frères, Limiteé, also contributed to the war effort. They built telephone switchboards and aircraft wings.

DRBILL

St. Mary's, Maron. It is downtown, and is the prominent stone church on the right(east) side of I-74 just after the first exit in downtown, which would place it south of St. Francis hospital by about four blocks, and about six blocks east of Caterpillar world headquarters.

A couple friends in town here debate every other month whether the Wicks in Peoria is the best in the country, and it makes me feel a little dumb. I got to hear it at least once a month growing up, and never gave it a second thought.

The other interesting part of the story...during WW2, Wicks was asked by the government to help with airplane manufacturing, and to this day has a very profitable aircraft parts business alongside the organ stuff. In some years, the aircraft company kept the organ company above water.

Timmikid, herein lies the answer to your shipping dilemma!

I'd be interested, even with its unreliable direct-electric action. But my dad just sold his 19 rank electro-pneumatic pipe organ to make space for his antique tube radio restoration business when he retires and moves back to FL...so even a 2 rank organ is out of the question.[:(]

..."When the armature that controlled the valve was released, the enertia caused the valve to bounce against the seat. You got a stutter after the release of each note. It was particularly bad on the reeds, and the trumpet was the worst offender."

Dear DRBILL, do you remember ever hearing the old saying regarding Wicks direct-electric action?...

"If it bounces and clicks, it's a Wicks!"

The firm Gress-Miles (now defunkt) designed a more stable direct-electric action that didn't do alot of bouncing IIRC. Not sure about Reisner and Durst Organ Supply though...