There really is a Cheap Great Sounding 2A3 tube!

Cut-Throat

Something Jazzman, Eric and Wolfram and others should be interested in.

A few months ago after reading the Thread in the Audio Asylum (SET Forum), I purchased a pair of these single black plate tubes made in China. They really are great and I have been listening to them in my Moondogs off and on since then. I have no desire to go back to my expensive TJ Meshplates and/or RCA Engraved Blackplates.

These tubes are labeled 2A3C Shuguang and another feature is that they in a really cool shaped bottle.

I think I paid around $80 for the pair and got them from one of the sources mentioned in this thread. Try them, you won't go wrong. Here's a Pic of one in my Moondogs!

2A3C tube Thread

2A3CTube.jpg

there's a BIN on eBay if anyone is interested,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260021545122

The sonic description in the listing makes me think of the TJ 300B 2.5V meshplate. I don't bring that tube out very often but playing it now with Dr. Lonnie Smith's new CD. The rich tone is there, with some slight blunting in the upper frequencies. Would you agree with the seller's description that the Shuguang 2A3C leans more towards sounding like a 300B? Still a very reasonable price regardless, the 300B glass envelope is a looker. Did a little research and found out Shuguang is owned by Samsung.

SuperTNT is out of stock, but has a little more info.

http://www.supertnt.com/info;_lid;20

20060303121149_2A3C.jpg

looks like a different factory, here is the page I was referencing

http://www.vacuumtube.com/Mfg.htm

Subjectively speaking of course, the nicest sounding 2A3 I've heard in the Moondogs are the Arcturus monoplates. They had a cleaner, tighter bottom end versus the RCA Cunningham 2A3 monoplates, with a very smooth and balanced spectrum throughout that the 1930s monoplates are known for. We had these in Kelly's amps a few months ago and both agreed on this one. But there are a lot of nice 2A3s out there now and have yet to try them all.

Purely as stress relief due to my wife having to go ino for heart arithmya testing twice next week for the first time at 42.

I feel the need to be snidely commedic.

"I wasn't sure there was a great sounding expensive 2A3 tube".

baa daa bump tish ( snare drum & crash sound)

Thank you for your patience.

I do feeel slightly guilty for this post but I am sure I will get over it.

[6]

Purely as stress relief due to my wife having to go ino for heart arithmya testing twice next week for the first time at 42.

I feel the need to be snidely commedic.

"I wasn't sure there was a great sounding expensive 2A3 tube".

baa daa bump tish ( snare drum & crash sound)

Thank you for your patience.

I do feeel slightly guilty for this post but I am sure I will get over it.

[6]

Thanks for posting something constructive...