Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Aug. 22

thebes

Sorry to be late with this, wrenched my back and typing's a pita.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

I'll start if off with:

Various Artists, Rythm Come Forward, reggae, lp

Everybody should have some reggae in their collection and this is a

good sampler for those who wan't to try it out. Features Bob

Marley, Jimmy cliff and Aswad among the artists. Very well

recorded, especially Cliff's "Treat the Youths Right" which is an

aswesome song to show off your system.

So what do you have tos hare this week?

Welcome Back Sheriff Thebes........glad your back safe and sound......Reggae you want...

EXODUS...............Bob Marley and the Wailers..................CD...................1977

The 70's is starting to wind down, Bob Marley is still riding high, and I feel he is becoming more, shall I say, Musical,as opposed to the political songs of past years. These songs are to me some of the Best Bob Marley ever wrote or performed. The Wailers, backed by the I Threes, are right on the money backing Bob up.........Solid Group......

Natural Mystic

So Many Things To Say

Guiltiness

The Heathen

Exodus

Jamming

Waiting in Vain

Turn Your Lights Down Low

Three Little Birds

One Love/ People Get Ready

Really is an impressive song list........My take is it starts slow and easy, and by the end of it You will find yourself singing along, or dancing around abit..........Yes you will.......these songs really are kinda' infectious, the more you listen, the worse it gets, and that's good.... If you have never really listened to Bob Marley before, and don't really want every Wailers album, this is the Bob Marley album to buy. Personally, I have many of Bob's albums, some are very politically based, and not for everyone to enjoy, but for sheer musical enjoyment of reggae Music, Exodus fills the bill, quite well MON...........

Other Bob Marley Albums I recommend; Burnin'...........Kaya.........Rastaman Vibration.......

Many of us who make these recommendations seem to be old [H], or at

least like classic music. Last week I recommended a remastered Traffic

compilation. This week I recommend the remastered version of Jethro Tull - Aqualung,

CD, Chrysalis, 1998 (originally released 1973). The liner notes cite

the use of Prism Digital Processing to clean up the original master

tapes, and let me tell you, it worked very well. I have never heard

those songs sound so good. Clear, quiet (no hiss at all), very good

separation of instruments. I am hearing things I never heard before.

Bonus cuts include an interview with Ian Anderson about the re-release,

and three cuts in mono broadcast by BBC in 1968.

I've been listening to podcasts of The Ricky Gervais Show. Completely

genius stuff. Creators of the original BBC version of The Office

Gervais and Steven Merchant along with new guy Karl Pilkington just

chat away about nothing much. I think there are still some free

episodes available at rickygervais.com.

I'm also watching season 2 of Veronica Mars on DVD as well as an Alfred

Hitchcock boxset that includes Strangers on a Train, Dial M For Murder,

Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion, The Wrong Man, Stage Fright, I

Confess, North by Northwest and Mr. and

Mrs. Smith.

As far as music goes I've been listening to a lot in the "yacht rock"

genre. If you're not familiar with the term yacht rock might I suggest

you visit youtube.com and watch the 10 episodes of the show Yacht Rock.

Hysterical! Yacht rock is basically all the faceless, bland. light-rock

that came mainly from the west coast circa '77-'81. Some bands/acts

would include Ambrosia, Climax Blues Band, Little River Band, Pablo

Cruise, Firefall, Dr. Hook, etc. The show is hilarious as it creates

scenarios for members of bands like The Eagles to "take on" Steely Dan

because of their biting and subversive lyrics. True yacht rockers have

to keep the "smooth music" scene alive 'til the end and not give in to

"rockin' guitar licks" and "thunderous rhythms". Jeez...just watch the

5 minute episodes.

Many of us who make these recommendations seem to be old [H], or at least like classic music. Last week I recommended a remastered Traffic compilation. This week I recommend the remastered version of Jethro Tull - Aqualung, CD, Chrysalis, 1998 (originally released 1973). The liner notes cite the use of Prism Digital Processing to clean up the original master tapes, and let me tell you, it worked very well. I have never heard those songs sound so good. Clear, quiet (no hiss at all), very good separation of instruments. I am hearing things I never heard before. Bonus cuts include an interview with Ian Anderson about the re-release, and three cuts in mono broadcast by BBC in 1968.

ROCK N' ROLL IS AN ATTITUDE NOT AN AGE...........Rock On RichardP.......[;)]

Free Flight - Palomino Duck

New Age

Audio CD (April 2, 1996)

Original Release Date: March 26, 1996

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003JV4/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/102-7525570-6897720?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174

01 Free Flight...The Journey North

02 Eastern Wind

03 Remember

04 On the Isle of Skye

05 Sweetwater

06 Nightshade

07 Liquidity

08 When Love Comes

09 Light into Blue

10 Freedom

11 Love Will Conquer All

12 As Seasons Change

Last week I had never heard of this group.

One of the guy's at work bought a lot of CD's off of EBAY and this was in the stack he called junk... you know... "hey if you want any of these help yourself" type stack.

Well I picked this CD out of the pile and I must say it is one great CD.

I think the term used in one of the reviews "absolutly beautifull music" really fits this music.

If you like the sound of CUSCO you will love this CD.

Rare find but a real keeper!

The Amazon link above includes sample clips which should give you some idea of the type of music that Palomino Duck plays...

Greg's pick: Free Flight...The Journey North

Hey all, great recommendations, as usual so far! I think I need an remastered version of Aqualung, since my vinyl is a tad the worse for wear since the summer of '71.

Here's another one that will take you back a bit, even further than that, but it is appropriate for me since I just saw Bob play McCoy Stadium last night on his whirlwind tour of triple A baseball feilds and other small venues. He also had some great acts on his tour, including a fabulous country guitarist named Junior Brown.

So, what Bob did was essentially rehash some of his older songs, with a few newer ones from the more recent decades thrown in. This led me and my concert buddy, my son Rob, into a long discussion of Dylan trivia and I came to this as my favorite Dylan Album.

Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited.

B0000C8AVR.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V5632910

I think this is some of Dylan's most powerful work, although there are also some great songs and ballads on some of his other albums too, even and including some of his newer work. His latest album Modern Times releases today.

Still, the songs on Highway 61 are what I think Dylan is all about at his creative prime. Like a Rolling Stone is undoubtedly one of the '60s most important pieces of music. And Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues is truely a piece of folk music for the ages.

The elusive Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited, an essential piece American art.

Regulation Motorcycle Music

Ride safe and Rock on!

Steve, Not a big Dylan fan, but that is one of his best efforts, good job. I am more taken by the fact that you went to see him in the Baseball Park series, and even more impressed by the fact you went with your son, in my opinion Sir, that is just a wonderful experience that every Father wishes they could have, You are a Lucky man. To be able to see a Superstar, and he is, in that type setting, with your Son at your side, Does It Get any Better?...........I doubt it...............Enough Said......................

Thanks Rob,

...nope it doesn't get any better than that. It was very cool and very special. Thanks for pointing out to me something that I sometimes take for granted. My son is a very spcial young man.

The Dynlan concert was pretty amazing too. I was especially impressed with the sound system they put up for the show given that it was a 1 day event. They put up a complete stage, and lighting system in the outfield, then put up additional towers all around the first and third baselines, for those that didn't want to sit on the grass on the field, we could sit in the stands. The audio quality was excellent!

I've been to many outdoor concerts in the Boston are that are set up for the season, paid big bucks for tickets and the audio is lacking. Not here! He must have had 5000 watts pushing that system. What kind of amplified technology do they use these days to push those big stadium sound systems?

There were probably 8 eighteen wheelers and two band/crew busses behind the stadium that were going show to show. He's going to be at Doubleday field in Cooperstown NY on September 2nd if you want to check it out.

Steve, not alot of response on here, so let me yak at you for abit, You asked me about the Stones club date disc, did you ever get to watch it? You either didn't watch it ,or You didn't like it, I sense you didn't like it,because I got no return response, am I wrong? The Stones are one of those Love or Hate groups, there is little middle ground. If a person is on the fence about the Stones, there's a good chance they would not like disc 4, but that really is the Stones, a little Rhythm and Blues style bar band that made it to the top, and they have never forgotten where their roots are buried. Good stuff.

You and your son going to see Dylan in such a wonderful location is beyond words. Again, you are a very Lucky Man to share such a thing. While my 22 year old son was home this summer, he told me he would like to go to a U2 show next time they tour.Steve, I was in SHOCK.........He wants to go with ME......it brought a tear to my eye, really, he wants to go to U2 with ME, So, I can only imagine how you felt going with your son. Now here is a guy that listens to RAP and all that stuff, who for years ,I have tried to show him different forms of music, to no avail........I'm still stunned. So, to shorten things up, we are waiting for them to tour the states again, and we will do it, I've never seen them, always liked them, like the positions they take on world events, and best of all, maybe I have rubbed off abit on my son...........I can only imagine how you felt at Dylan............

Hi Rob, sorry about not getting back to you on the Stones club disc. I went on vacation and then some business travel and still haven't had a chance to watch it. But now that I've been reminded I will watch it soon. I bought that set and have still only watched the stadium tour in the UK. I forget what stadium it was, but it was done up nicely.

I'll let you know what I think of it in the near future. I loved the Stones, back when everyone in my class was a Beatles fan. I liked the Beatles too, but the stomes seemed to have more depth in their music, more soul. Of course it did, it was coming directly back from the real American black blues of the South. But I didn't know that back then. I finally figured it out in about '68 when I fell in love with BB King as he released his Cook County Jail album. That was the album that started it all for me. Not much went on my turntable after that that didn't have a connection to the blues.

Yeah.. I can relate to you about becoming "friends" with you children too. That's happening in my life too. It's that growing up thing. "When I was 16 my parents were stupid, but the funny thing is as I got older, they got smarter." U2 is a fabulous concert band, you'll love that!

I'm gonna throw on that Stones disc this afternoon if I get the house to myself.. which I think is going to happen, as my wife and 22 year old daughter are going to the mall to spend lots of my money. My daughter graduated from college this spring, spent the summer in NYC and came back last week. She couldn't get a job, to save her soul in NYC, but she comes back and immediately finds this great job in a small think tank/consulting agency out in Northampton Ma. Whcih is really cool as it's a great music town due to all the colleges in the area. She's a music lover too, but not as much into the older stuff as my boy is. I see a lot of guys that have a lot more toys that I do.. boats, and 2nd homes and 2 or 3 motorcycles etc.. I don't have all that, because it costs me a "Cadillac a year" in tuition just to get these kids through college, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, if I had to.

Rock on and Ride Safe!!

Steve

Steve, I probably should use e-mail so Sheriff Thebes doesn't get upset using his thread, but no one else is. I too, have put two kids through college, 5 years for my daughter, and now a fifth year for my son, but I don't care, sure I coulda done this and I coulda done that, but we do what's best for them, I don't want them to do what I have done. I don't want them working with their backs, I want them to work with their brains.......we give them the tools to be what they want, what they do with that, is up to them, they can never say they were denied the education to do so......................

I believe you are talking the Twickenham Stadium disc, a Greatest Hits presentation, a wonderful show back in the neighborhood where it all began for them. I'm not trying to tell you what to watch, and I don't want to seem like a know it all, but if you haven't watched all the different shows you just might enjoy the Madison Square Garden show before you watch Olympia Theatre show...........just a suggestion.........Madison Square Garden is where they belong, in my opinion, the greatest stage in North America........No matter which one you watch.......dollar for dollar......Four Flicks is worth every penny......Top Notch Video........excellent sound...........Boy, actually I'm glad you haven't seen the other shows, I was kind of afraid you didn't like them............Just kick back.......give it alittle volume, but save some, because you'll want to turn it up........and ENJOY........I'll jump off my soap box now....."It's Only Rock and Roll".....................".but I like it, like it, YES I do"...............

SO, This is a recommendation so it's OK...........Sheriff Thebes..............

Gov't Mule- High and Mighty

One of the best rock cd's to come out in years! Production is great with some smokin rock tracks. You would almost swear you was listening in surround sound at times. This album has alot to offer. Do not miss this! If you like classic rock its' a must buy to see what can still happen in this day and age.