How good are the Klipsch surrounds?

Raider

Just how good are the Klipsch surrounds? I have read that THX specs call for a wide dispersion side and rear speakers such as the dipole RS Klipsches. However, I have also read that more music CD's and DVD's are being mixed to utilize a full range speaker in the rear channels. Since the surrounds would likely be on stands in my application, the footprint is the same as that of a floorstanding speaker, whose bass response I'm sure would be better.

I just thought I would get some feedback to see what choices you have made in your system and why. What do you find to be optimal layout of front, sides and rear?

Thanks

I have Klipsch Synergy SS.5 the smallest klipsch surround to feature their WDT(Wide Dispersion Technology) and it is an amazing little 4 inch surround speaker. When Watching LOTR fellowship of the ring in the begining where it shows Sauron Holding the ring and flames cross the surrounds...it causes an amazing affect(you'll pat your head scared your hair may be on fire). Outside the prancing pony rain fall is realistic and believable. My only problem is when I originally purchased my surrounds they were for a small bedroom and I am now in great need of an upgrade moving them to my living room. If this little surround behaves with such lifelike clarity and rich detail( I paid barely a 100 dollars for the pair new) I can only imagine what their THX ultra big brothers can do [:)]. I'll never own another speaker besides klipsch!

I would hesitate using floor standing speakers for surrounds because the sound really needs to come from above ear level...unless of course you can get the sound from the floorstander above your head.

Is this changing stance now from buying 5 timbre matched and similar speakers?

Is this changing stance now from buying 5 timbre matched and similar speakers?

No, I just don't think he realistically wants to consider the hanging of floorstanders.

Both ways will sound nice, but there are reasons the specs call for high surrounds.

Just how good are the Klipsch surrounds? I have read that THX specs call for a wide dispersion side and rear speakers such as the dipole RS Klipsches. However, I have also read that more music CD's and DVD's are being mixed to utilize a full range speaker in the rear channels. Since the surrounds would likely be on stands in my application, the footprint is the same as that of a floorstanding speaker, whose bass response I'm sure would be better. I just thought I would get some feedback to see what choices you have made in your system and why. What do you find to be optimal layout of front, sides and rear? Thanks

I use the RS7 surrounds with RC7 Center and RF5 towers for mains - the sound is absolutley stunning ! The RS7's are outstanding surrounds and the other models of the reference series also sound great. I have not heard the new versions, but I doubt Klipsch engineering would take a step backwards when it comes to good sound. The sound is VERY well balanced between all cabinets. The RS7's are side mounted - above (at about 6 feet above the floor) and slightly behind the seating position. I do more music listening than movies and the multi channel SACD or DVD-A's that are well recorded are amazing! For movies, I also have an Outlaw LFM2 sub - the sonics are stunning - sounds moving across the 5.1 soundstage often create audio realism that makes one think someone is walking behind you, etc. You get lost in the sound and forget that you are even listening to a recording.

How on earth do you move that sub, tower, and surround to get to the closet? Also is that Kenmore fridge the center of the system! [:o]

I can't lie to you; The Kenmore is an intricate part of the system--It is the Beer Fridge and is stocked with Belhaven Scottish Ale and Amstel Light. [;)] We also don't need to get in the closet very often and it's not hard to move the few times that we do.

Just how good are the Klipsch surrounds?... What do you find to be optimal layout of front, sides and rear? Thanks

To stay on topic I think raider should definitely consider a fridge somewhere in the setup. --Just as valuable as anything listed below in my signature. Mine just happen to be by my surrounds (which I endorsed earlier in the thread)