RECALLING OLD EQUIPMENT OUT OF RETIREMENT

BigStewMan

Thinking about going into the archives and bringing out some old gear to use in my garage (converting it into a lounge). I still have an NAD 1020a preamp, and I believe the amp is NAD 1150--both purchased in 1984, along with a pair of HERESEYS (best purchase I've ever made!). If I remember correctly, the NAD left channel was not working (no sound at all). A few questions: would this be the channel on the amp or preamp? (don't know if they both have left and right channels--that is why I asked--don't know much about how these things work). What is a ballpark figure for the repair if the channel is blown? Hope these are answerable questions--just looking for a rough idea as to whether it's worth it to have it repaired--it served me well, back in the day. Since we've recently "gutted" the house and spending a fortune remodeling, I don't think buying new gear will go over too well. But, then if the repair costs equal or more than something new of comparable quality...appreciate any advice.

To determine if it's the amp or preamp channel, switch the right and left preamp channels into the amp. If the problem moves to the right channel, it's the preamp. If the problem stays in the left channel, it's the amp.

Ballpark figure depends only on where you would take it, what their expertise level was/is, and how involved the problem is. $100? ...a guess....

Good luck,

Chris

His stuff is getting up there in years. Even if it wasn't broken that old NAD stuff would sound mediocre at best on the Heresys. If he manages to find someone competent to fix it, it'll probably cost almost as much as the piece is worth. To do it right you' d want to replace all of the big power electrolytics too since they're about close to shot -- add that to the total cost of repair and I think why bother. For couple of hundred more you can get something that runs circles around it soundwise.That's a unit I wouldn't mind having myself -- and probably will.

Interesting, I asked about Panasonic products months ago, and got ZERO response, was very curious about them...............Had a Panasonic receiver in the 70's and everyone laughed at me, got rid of it, was always sorry I did that, just because other people didn't like it........I will never change equipment again based on what others think.......Interesting to me that Dean and BEC point to that product......must have some merits......