I had a tear!

PhilMays

OK, so this is not a question.

Just got back and installed my DeanG'd crossovers for my RF-7's and RC-7.

WOW!!!!

I knew the mids should be more pronounced, but the bass.....it was extremely full!

I honestly had to check my subs to see if I had (or the kids) had turned the gain up on them.

I played Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, then my wife made me cut it off (via child). I told him to tell her "your not the boss of me"....then I sheepishly turned it down....

Anyway, WOW!!!! again.....Thanks DEANG!!!!

Excellent Job!!!!

Phil

Phil, Many on this forum are always telling people" What and How" speakers should sound like, and that is all fine and good, but one word never used when describing the sound of speakers, Emotion, I think you found it.............Good for You......the little Lady will adapt...........eh???.............ENJOY..............

hi Oldb,

Not sure the little lady will adapt...But I did get to enjoy the new set-up with the exceptional DVD...The Shaggy Dog...last night...WOW! ...I was at the movies store looking for movies and ended up with kid movies only to think, well, I guess this is what it has come to. The entire set-up, three subs, yadda, yadda....for kids movies with no explosions, breaking glass, women screaming, and children crying.

Oh well.

There's always lunch hour!

Phil

Phil, I'm amazed at the entertainment options we have available today, Who would have thought we would be at this point 20 years ago? Enjoy yourself.............Shaggy Dog is alittle tame...........eh????? Did you change cross overs because you had to(worn out), or you wanted to? Glad they worked out................

I'm glad you're happy Phil. Any problems getting all that back together again?:)

Maybe I need to convince DeanG of new crossovers on rf-83?

Void the Warranty won't it..............Why buy new if your just going to change things? Just asking Jay, don't get upset over a question, don't you get a 5 year warranty with you new speakers?

On any of the new Reference stuff, I would just change out the caps -- no mods. The new stuff doesn't make getting the networks out very easy. You have to be able to disconnect the wires from the tweeter, and to do that you have to be able to get to it -- which would involve removing the entire front plastic piece. I've never seen one up close so I don't know difficult it would be. I talked to Trey about it once and I got the impression it wasn't a big deal.

Warranty? Well, if anything in the network ever fails it's covered by me until I die. If something were to fail, it's very unlikely that it would take out a driver -- it would just quit making sound until the part was replaced. If a driver fails, it won't be because of anything in the network -- but due to all the things that normally cause driver failure: Clipping, overdriving, or DC to the drivers from amplifier failure -- which aren't covered under warranty anyway. If a driver fails because of a manufacturer's defect, or if the veneer begins to peel off -- I can't believe Klipsch would be so small minded as to blame the problem on a cap changeout. At any rate, not much can go wrong with a speaker, and if there is a problem it's going to happen in the first couple of weeks after you buy it.

Dean, I asked that question about the warranty because one of the reasons I bought new was the warranty, and I wouldn't want to void it by changing anything. If you were going to change things on the speakers right away, wouldn't buying used make more sense? I am just asking a question..........interested how you would answer that....

But since you don't have a pair of RF-83 how exactly will both of us know it will sound better or are you just replacing the caps with a higher quality same value?

Earlier, I had said, "On any of the new Reference stuff, I would just change out the caps -- no mods." So yes, better quality/same values. It results in a less grainy, smoother, and more open sound.

"...If you were going to change things on the speakers right away, wouldn't buying used make more sense?..."

Probably. OTOH, a lot of people who buy new speakers don't do it because of the warranty, but because they want a pristine example of the speaker. I'm one of those.

Back from a long weekend.

DeanG, Crossovers went it perfectly....didn't even need the digital pictures I took during the removal process.

OldB, the croosover were not worn out, I just wanted to get the most out of the speakers. I am at a point were a upgrade will be a major cost and this was very nominal for what I got in return!

Shaggy Dog....I am kid movied out. We drove 12 hours this weekend doing Great Wolf Lodge and Busch Gardens....I did not drink one beer and only broke down on the way home when I cut off their movie and listened to the latest Boz Scaggs Live CD....oh the troops were restless!!!!

buy new speakers don't do it because of the warranty, but because they want a pristine example of the speaker. I'm one of those.

but Dean .......

dosen't it make you feel even worse....

you know, when your the guy that runs the vacuum into the front of a new K.H. ....???...[:D]

or when you move them to college, DOH!