The screen is up! and a "new" amp! PICS

Cal Blacksmith

The screen came last night!!! The pics show it in the
box and in the room GEE this thing is bigger than I thought!

The next pic is with it up on the wall. That thing sure
takes up a lot of wall space! It was easy to setup and only took about an hour
including getting the tools together.

The last pic is of a power amp I picked up to run the main
speakers. Though the receiver is doing a good job of it right now, I figured at
the price ($137 delivered) it would take the load off the power supply of the
Pre/pro and give it a little breathing room. These amps are fairly common,
sound great and are not that expensive. This one is dirty and has a small
scratch or two, but as it is coming from a dealer who says it works 100% I think it is a safe gamble.

The amp is rated for 120 wpc and a link to it is HERE

WOW, that is big! What room of the home are we in now? Will this clear up the main living room of all the equipment?

That amp is a good idea. (giving the power supply a little breathing room) But I wonder about using it for the mains, or would it be best to use it for the rear outs instead? That would keep your three fronts on the same type of amp, and you'd be using your receivers main amps when listening to 2 ch sound? You'd have one less unit running if you were just listening to 2ch as well. Just a thought.

Congrats on the new setup, it's coming along nicely.

No rush (obviously), but is that projector bracket coming along? I have client presentations in the next month and it'd be great to get the Canon properly mounted. Thanks.

Michael

This is still the living room[;)] The room is about 14 feet wide and it is 14 feet to the prime viewing position (but it is not seen in the photo) there is another 6 feet or so behind the seats but that is a hallway to the rest of the house and the main entry to the home.

The screen is a Da-Lite, 119" diagional HD format with a 1.5 gain pearlessent screen material. The frame does NOT have the felt but the mat finish it does have works very well. The speakers in front are Quartets with an Academy center. Fort'e 1s are doing side duty and KG1s are mounted behind the seating. I had only just put the screen up and adjusted the PJ so the room is a mess and I need to lower the center stand about 1inch to get it below the picture, 4 inches to get it below the frame and wrap it with black cloth to make a better fit visually. I would really like to get the Fort'es up front but the risers will need to come off first (even then it might not be enough) The Quartets are supposed to be a good match for the Academy and the Forte's are not supposed to match as well. I don't want to paint the OO finish on the Quartets and the Forte's are black to start with.

I am converting the living room into a HT one step at a time, as I can convince the better half of each step[:P] Next I would like to paint the wall a darker color to make the screen stand out better. I can reduce the light from the window by about 95% (even more with more treatment) so we can view movies in daytime with no problem.

Michael, I will try to get your job done and in the mail by early next week. I have just been overloaded with Dr appointments and the like. I am in the process of setting up a stomach bypass surgery while I still have insurance to pay for it![:D]

About using the amp (all the way from Hawaii![:D]) for the sides rather than the mains, HMMMMM I hadn't thought of that. I was only thinking of which set of speakers would take the most load off the power supply, but you may be onto something there. I will have to try both and see which I like better. The room is only used for movies so 2 ch is not a big deal (though with this setup, 2 ch alone is of a higher quality than 99 % of home setups[;)])

Ditto on the kegger, Nick! I'll meet you there! [;)]

Wayne: Thanks for posting the specs for us. Nice size room! What a huge screen! Our Stewart is 78" but it's the perfect size for our tiny room.

Best of luck on your surgery, Wayne! God Bless! -Glenn

Aloha Wayne!

Welcome to the world of big screens! Nice job. That is one fine looking Academy up front if I do say so myself!!!!

I would definitely shoot for the Fortes in the front if you can manage it. And even though I love the academy, another Forte for the center would be nice to ad the cherry to the cake--having Chris Munson upgrade the networks is making the cake "a la mode!"

I wish you would have told me about the Yamaha here in Hawaii. I was back in SOCAL for a business trip last week. I would have brought it to you on the plane.

Enjoy all the gear.

Jeff

Aloha ALL! The long weekend had me re-doing things a bit.

The bases came off of both the Fortes and Quartets, the rolls were reversed

with the Fortes going up front and the Quartets on the risers for surrounds.

The sub was moved from the corner and placed center under the screen and the

center Academy was placed on top of the sub. This works out well and the blend

across the front is still good. I know I was a bit under whelmed with the

Academy but it has grown on us and it does sound good. The front speakers being

all black do look as good as they sound. It took a bit of fiddling with the

projector but the image just fills the screen with no overshoot onto the frame.

The felt will not be needed, which is a good thing as the metal frame is much

easier to keep clean.[:D]

Most of you know that I use a HTPC as a source for the

video, well there was a bit of a problem with it and it went all sideways.[co] With

people coming over on Monday (yesterday) I didnt have time to fool with it so

I went to Circuit City and picked up a LG progressive scan, up scaling player

on the open box display table for $69. It does a pretty good job but the PC is

better, more clear. For the price, it will stay in my rack as a backup when I

do get the HTPC running again.[Y]

That amp coming from the BIG Island

will be here in a few days or so. Jeff, it was a spur of the moment decision to

buy it and the easiest way was to just pay shipping. Thanks for the offer

though I will try to keep you in mind if anything else catches my eye over

there![Y]

I will get some better pictures taken of our setup and post

them probably tomorrow. It has been a hot weekend and I did stay out of the

shop (over 100F every day!) Michael, I will get to work on your mount ASAP.[:$]

As to Nicks idea of a party..BRING IT ON DUDE! If there

is enough interest to the local So Cal (or anyone willing to drive) we will

indeed setup a get together here. Perhaps where it cools off a little[;)][<:o)][<:o)]

There...NOW we can see whatcha got there! N-I-C-E ! Now we can even see the SVS Sub! You are absolutely correct about the black front wall brining out the contrast! I discovered that over 3 years ago when I painted the front end of my theater flat black and added a flat black tile ceiling! The colors pop and your eyes are not distracted from the screen.

post-10177-13819308214026_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Like most other DIY projects, this has taken a long time to put together. First, working my way through every type of Klipsch speaker, then obtaining the ones I wanted, making modifications, etc. The last part included some simple stuff like the curtains and the DIY acoustic panels along the side of the room. Those panels made a really big differance in the sound both in movies and in just 2 channel listening.

Now I just need more time to just sit and enjoy....