DIY Khorns

Othello

I would like to build my own Khorns and I am looking for people with experience to keep me from making all the mistakes they made already....

I have the Speakerlab plans and enough plywood to do it.

I would need advice regarding the speakers to locate for the DIY Khorn.

AND:

I do live in a post and beam place which does not have the clean corners a Khorn might want (there are 8" beams in my corners).

Does that work??

I mean what is 8" considering the wavelength of the bass signal, but then maybe it does matter, does anybody know??

TIA Uwe

The Speaker Lab are ok. But there are better ways to build them. Check this out on EBay(330025643371) I am talking about the metric plans and the CAD. This will give you a little more in sight. For the Elec. I would contac this guy ( Bob ) he is here on the forum.

Now as far as putting them in a corner. If you dont have a corner you can build a corner. Take a look at the manul for the Klipschorn on Klipsch .com. It will show you how to put it together.

Another thing I have found that it sounds better if you use all 3/4 plywood.

JubileeLeft.jpg

And then here are more aesthetically pleasing designs:

masterpiece.jpg

Top left = PWK, Top right = Valerie (PWK's wife), Bottom right = Roy Delgado

More pics and information can be found here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/774669/ShowThread.aspx

And then another related thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/767705/ShowThread.aspx

And here is the Pro Cinema version (notice it's 3-way versus the 2-way home version):

400x400.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-jubilee-535.aspx

The coolest part of the design is the bassbin - there is some

flexibility with the top HF driver (or MF/HF driver if you so prefer).

The ideal way would be the big daddy top horn, but you can compromise

with something smaller like the wooden horns PWK is showing off.

If you wanted to purchase a pair, then Roy is the guy to talk to and he

can hook you up with all of the crossover options (either passive or

active).

I'll give my two cents.

I built from the SpeakerLab plans and used 3/4 inch ply. I think that was not necessary.

The biggest problem is cutting the compound angles. I used a circular saw with a guide. There are few angle greater than 45 degrees and I attached the pieces to an old plywood workbench for that.

The plans I had said not to put the notch in the M (?) piece. This means the upper and lower wedges do not become part of the back chamber. Sealing the back chamber is very important and I did not make the notch on the theory that sealing the wedges would be difficult.

Overall it took a lot work to get the pieces cut correctly. Then I paid a lot of attention to sealing.

I built a pair of modified Jubilee's a few years ago from plans I made up. Cutting was much, much easier. All the major pieces are the same height with a 90 degree cut. So once you rip these, you've make half the cuts on half the boards. Most of the rest are angled cuts on some edges of rectangles.

The Jubilees have their own challenges. One is making the hatches at each end.

The other is generally getting all the pieces aligned and screwed and glued.

But overall the Jubilee is the way I would go, if I was going to do it again.

Gil

I would have the same question, where can I look at plans for the Jubilee.

I mean here I ask for experienced advice to build Khorns and a number of people say no no, build the Jubilee.

Ok, but do they also provide the info or point to a file with plans?

The beauty about the Khorn is that there are plans available.

The ebay number of the first poster (Wrench722) didn't work by the way...

Uwe

I would like to build my own Khorns and I am looking for people with experience to keep me from making all the mistakes they made already....

I have the Speakerlab plans and enough plywood to do it.

I would need advice regarding the speakers to locate for the DIY Khorn.

AND:

I do live in a post and beam place which does not have the clean corners a Khorn might want (there are 8" beams in my corners).

Does that work??

I mean what is 8" considering the wavelength of the bass signal, but then maybe it does matter, does anybody know??

TIA Uwe

If you are interested, I have a pair of factory built Speakerlab bass bins, JBL 2470 midrange compression drivers, JBL 2404 baby cheek tewwters, Yamaha D2040 divider network (professional digital active crossover) and two Teac AL7000P 3 channel digital amps that I would like to sell. I also have the plans for a Tractrix midrange horn.

The Speakerlabs have narrow sides and I have AutoCAD plans to build false corners that will look very much like Jubilees. I bought all of this stuff to replace my K Horns but now have non-horn speakers and no room. I will sell all of it for $1500. The divider network alone sells for $3,000. This would amount to a very upgraded K Horns and should outperform a K Horn in every way. All you would need is a preamp and CD player to complete teh system.

you can email me at nevadamail@hotmail.com

Chris