Chorus II vs KLF-20 vs RF-7

discusman

ok ... i brought the RF-7's home so i can compare with the KLF-20 and the new Chorus II I got last week. i played the RF-7's for almost 2 days straight to break it in a little. Testing was for 2 channel music only ... don't have the RC-7 so home theather testing was not possible. my test music was from an HDCD source and speakers were placed in the same location. Winner on all counts was the chorus II's ... the KLF-20's beat out the RF-7 in certain types of music and vice-versa ... although I must admit that I can listen to the RF-7's for a longer period when played loud as compared to the legends. so, back goes the RF-7's since I did not see it as a $1,000 upgrade from the KLF-20's if I were to trade it in - probably would have considered it if I did not purchase the chorus II's ... for all those who gave me the reassurance to buy the chorus - well, a big thanks to you guys ... these speakers are really awesome - even my wife likes them, which really says a lot!!!

*** I know it was mentioned somewhere here that the RF-7's really need some high-end equipment to sound great but I just don't have them. Testing was done using Acurus A200FIVE amp, Denon 3801's as pre-amp, Denon DCM-370 cd player, JPS labs ultraconductor speaker cables and bettercables silver serpent interconnects.

Glad to know about the Chorus II vs. the KLF-20s since I have the Legends (and a pair of Epic CF-1s) and I have been considering getting a pair of Chorus/ChorusIIs or a pair of Fortes(since someone in my small town wants to sell his Fortes (I do not know wether they are I or IIs)).

Can anyone give any comparison on Chorus vs Fortes?

I have all four (but KLF-30s instead of 20s), and they're all great. Fortes are really wonderful speakers, many love them more than the Chroruses and feel they are better overall speakers. I prefer the Chorus, they're just more of a good thing (but I have to warn you they are BIG, thet make the Fortes look small, which they're not). Extremely dynamic and everything you listen to is an emotional experience.

I found the Legend 30s a little smoother and, to me, more pleasing for music.

And the RF-7 are very much like a cross between the RF-3s and the Legend 30s, with more detail and a better soundstage. Almost as much slam as the 30s (which I think have less slam than the Chorus), but better detail and even smoother, and a little less colored than the Choruses.

I have to sell one of these (I'm keeping the RF-7s), I think I'll sell the 30s, because the Chroruses and RF-7s are the most different from each other. But if I could, I would keep them all, they're all different, and frankly I like them all for different reasons. No dogs in the bunch.

hey georgec ... you have all those speakers ... that's just too cool ... so you can just switch them up whenever you get tired of any of them. you're right though, they are all great speakers. wish i could keep them all also but for now the chorus II's just wins out for me each time. hope my ears don't change or I'll be sorry.

Discusman,

Glad to hear you like the Chorus II's (I was one of the guys that told you to go after 'em). I have them also, as well as a pair of Chorus I's, and I can't say enough good things about them. They sounded so good to me, I ended up selling my Epic CF-2's to my sister after purchasing them. I think these speakers don't get the recognition they deserve. Granted, they only made them for a few years ('90 - '96) but not a lot of people in the Klipsch community know about them.

I want to thank Doug Drake for helping me in my decision to get mine. Smile.gif Just yesterday, I was playing Dire Strait's first CD at 110db, and was just blown away! It was so loud, I had to leave the room but those things weren't even straining. Pure heaven! I listened to the KLF-30's and the RF-7's in the showroom (I know that's not a fair comparison) and will keep my Chorus's, thank you...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 11-17-2001 at 09:06 AM

sorry mike ... you were definitely the most influential for me ... your pictures and comments on the chorus II's did it.

The reason I did take home the RF-7's was because the unfair comparison when in the show room - it just sounded terrible there. at home, they were much, much better but the chorus was it for me. Though the details on the RF-7's were incredible ... somehow it did not sound natural(to me anyway). no offense to the RF-7 folks out there .. in fact you have great speakers as well.

Klipsch all the way !!!!

Doug Drake has both (dougdrake2)and could probably chime in here...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by aab3rd:

Glad to know about the Chorus II vs. the KLF-20s since I have the Legends (and a pair of Epic CF-1s) and I have been considering getting a pair of Chorus/ChorusIIs or a pair of Fortes(since someone in my small town wants to sell his Fortes (I do not know wether they are I or IIs)).

------------------

My Music Systems

check this out ... i had no place to put my KLF-20's so I put them behind the chorus since we have visitors coming. wow .. the bass just got tighter - loved them before but sounds better now. well, i don't think i'd keep the 20's behind there. can anyone out there explain - and what I should do to get the same sort of sound. never messed with room acoustics before so this is new to me .. what happened?

quote:

I'll echo GeorgeC comments about the Forte and Chorus. I have both, and overall I prefer the Chorus. The Forte has better deep bass, but not by enough to compensate for the incredible mids and highs of the Chorus. Mike Lindsey has the C-I and C-II, so he is better able to contrast the two Chorus models. Maybe the C-II would do better on bass against the Forte than the C-I. But, with my subwoofer, I have all the bass I need, and the Chorus are just so great in the mids and highs.

I just set up a Forte center channel for my Chorus, and it is a nice complement.

Doug

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

OK ... i have the chorus II for stereo listening and loving it. I have the legends in my theater room and love those as well. I now have a pair of 6 month old KLF-20's not doing anything except sitting behind the chorus. Should I sell these or hold on to them for future trading up ... like some cornwall's or whatever?

Will these guys be like the older models meaning once you can no longer get them then everyone talks about getting them? I know only time will tell but want to hear your thoughts .. thanks.

quote:

Can't answer your question directly but I have Forte's and KLF 20's. I've listened to many different speakers. Aerials are the best sounding speakers I've heard, of course, you pay for them. The Forte's are the best sounding speakers I've heard under three grand. Klf-20s aren't quite as good as the Forte's although they're not bad either.