Looking for "Best" Way to Connect Computer to Home Sound System

I know this topic has probably been discussed in the Klipsch Forum, but I'm looking for some "current" advice.

I have a substantial amount of music stored in my computer and would like to know what technology forum readers are using that allows them to play music over their home audio systems.

One of the brilliant people I work with suggested that I try burning the songs onto a CD and then carry it across the room and and insert it in the CD player..... thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind .....

Currently, my computer and A/V receiver are about 25 feet apart and separated by a high traffic area. My house has a crawl space so I can run wires if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Dave in Nashville

I'm running all of my media through my computer...I just send a digital signal from the digital coax output of my soundcard into the digital coax input on my reciever. By keeping it digital I'm maintaining the fidelity of the recording until it gets to the DAC on the reciever (which will ultimately be the limiting factor of the system anyway). The point being that you can have high quality playback from your computer - and you don't need to break the bank getting a decent coax digital output from the computer.

However, you might need a digital amplifier of some kind if you're going to be running a ~40 foot cable. I'm running 16 feet right now with no problems, but I don't know how far you can get without introducing a lot of jitter.

Ultimately I think this will be the cheapest and highest quality option so it's definetly worth researching how far you can run. And if you have to, I can't imagine digital repeater amplifiers costing more than some of the wireless options out there.

S/PDIF uses 75 ohm coax cable with BNC Connectors. However RCA jacks are

common on computer equipment. The maximum cable length is 10 meters. The

output voltage level for SPDIF is 0.6 volts maximum, with input voltage

levels of 0.2 volts.

http://www.interfacebus.com/SPDIF_Audio_Interface.html

So you're talking about 32'9" maximum. I would recommend using normal RG6 coax cable (like what goes to your cable box) and then using RCA tips:

pRS1C-2266125w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103580&cp=&origkw=adapter&kw=adapter&parentPage=search

This will be a ton cheaper than trying to find a "digital rca cable" that is that long - and it should provide better signal transfer.

The specs tend to be conservative (so that they can guarantee performance up to 32 feet) so you might be able to get away with a slightly longer run (37 feet would really be pushing it). The only way to find out is to try it and see if the signal goes to crap - it will be very audible if it does. Before you cut up the walls, just lay the cable across the floor for a quick test (just make sure the length you test is long enough to make the run).

for me I don't even use my speakers for theater so I just use analog through a 1/8 mini stereo. I'm using SB X-treme music. Oh and yes, don't use analog for such long distances and wireless also has its problems. I'm not sure how it affects music, but after for networking, depending on how many walls you have and the angel of the wall from the source to the receiver, it may not even go through. Digital is the way to go!