At last: VA 350Bs in the house

dubai2000

It took about two month for them to arrive from the US, but finally they've made it: my quad of matched VA350Bs.

I suppose many people around here - and especially MC-30 owners - have read the numerous posts in which this tube (albeit in its original WE form) has been praised as THE power tube for the Macs.

For my rather limited budget those originals were clearly out of reach - plus I don't know if I'd really invest such sums on tubes which after all might not last.

Anyway, one day I had noticed that ValveArt was producing a 'replica' - or at least a tube with the same designation and when Leo wrote a positive report, I decided to give them a try myself. I should add that I have never been that happy with my quad of used 6L6 RCA black plates. Perhaps they are simply too used, but I only started enjoying the amps with a quad of cryod KT66 - yes, ValveArts again [:D]. Suddenly the sound became alive: soundstage much larger, more front-to-back perspective, all in all more of everything. Unfortunately one of the KT66 was shot when one amp decided it needed a visit to a tech. After repairs the 6L6 went in again and without direct comparision the amps sounded at least okay.

But let's now talk about the 350B. From the first tune it was clear that my 6L6 shall not be used again. Like with the KT66 the amps suddenly became indeed special. Soundstage is again a lot more three dimensional and timbres are a lot more natural. Actually I am now aware of musical and spatial information that the 6L6 simply didn't reveal in a way that I noticed it. You know how a tone might reverberate in a large hall. Well, with the VA 350B you really hear this. When playing the Led Zeppelin DVD guitar distortion became not only more obvious, but also fitted a lot more into the sound - it suddenly becomes clear how much this distortion was used as a creative musical means.

As the KT66 died some time ago, I cannot really offer any A/B comparison, but from aural memory I'd say that the VA 350B is a rather more subtle and more delicate tube. At the same time it does not hide if a recording is slightly hot in the upper frequencies - and that hasn't changed over the days I have used them so far. With the 350B I can understand why some people compare the MC-30s to SET amps (though I still think that SETs do have a signature of their own).

Concluding I can say that for me this purchase was definitely a winner and well worth the long delivery time. Of course your impression might vary, but I am a very happy camper right now when it comes to the MC-30s and their power tubes.

Wolfram

I'd like to compare the repros with my originals some day. I agree, the WE 350B is THE best tube (for me, at least) in my MC30s. You get almost the same ballsiness you hear out of the GEC KT-66 but, an even more lifelike midrange--horns and female vocals sound so "real" is downright scary.

If you are looking for a quad of the originals, here are two pair on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-350B-OUTPUT-TUBES-TEST-STRONG_W0QQitemZ140025207660QQihZ004QQcategoryZ73381QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Electric-350B-tubes-x-1-pair-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ230024990923QQihZ013QQcategoryZ73381QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Allan,

I'm surprised you haven't snapped up a set of VA's they are readily available at AES although they have them marked up pretty high. I can have them drop ship you a matched quad for $70 plus shipping if you like. I know a matched quad is not a must for the MC30 amps but I found out the hard way that if you don't buy matched quads from AES you get the real wild testing tubes that they absolutely could not match when buying singles.

Craig

Hmmmmm....interesting.

I am one who really likes the RCA 6L6GC in the MC30. Yes, they do have a weakness - when the action gets heavy in the bass region, they are "loose" down low (this improves some when I go to a different 12AX7 than the Telefunkens in the 30s - like an RCA or even an Amperex). For most of my listening, they are WONDERFUL - especially in the mids. So good, in fact, that I'm pretty sure the RCA 6L6 will be a permanent tube in one of my two pairs. Maybe it's just me, but I LIKE the 6L6.

I am in search of "an alternate" tube layout for that second pair.....then I'll just roll the amps.

Those candidates are the GE 6L6GC, KT66, and possibly doing an experiment with some Sylvania 6L6's too (possibly the 6BG6 ?? with a socket converter). My previous KT66 trials on the mostly original capped 30's didn't impress here - but will be revisited in the not too distant future. I hadn't really seriously considered 350B due to the expense - and still am not sure if I want that much extra current draw on the MC30 trannies. Let's see how these VA 350B do over time. I wonder if they are electrically the same as "the real deal" NU/WE?

But for all of you who have your RCA blackplate 6L6GC's sitting in the drawer, feel free to send 'em to me[:D] I'll use 'em.......[:P]

Yes, Leo, Craig also spread word about this tube.....sorry for not mentioning him as well.

I don't know if they need a different rectifier, what I do notice, though, is that the amps run a bit less warm than with either the 6L6 or the KT66.

Wolfram

P.S. Audible you've got mail