Should the RF-35's match the RC-7?

slorente

I am noticing a significant difference in tones between my RC-7 and RF-35's. The RC-7 sounds higher pitched and more "hollow." The RF-35's sound more "solid" for lack of a better term. Was there significant changes between the 2 lines to make them not a good match? Should I consider trading out the RC-7 for a newer center to better match the RF-35?

Not changes, just different drivers are used. If I remember correctly the RC-7 uses the same 1.75" tweeter that is in the RF-7. The RC-7 is probably overkill for RF-35 main speakers. If possible, I would look into trading out the RF-35s for RF-5s or RF-7s. You have an awesome center channel there.

I think most people will tell you that you should go with what you

think sounds best. So if they sound bad together, you might want to

look into getting a different center channel, as floorstanders are

ususally more expense (go figure). I can't make any suggestions for a

center as I am a 2 channel guy, but mayber others can help with that...

Is there anything I can do to take out some of the "brightness" of the RC-7? It seems extremely harsh. I'm afraid that this is just an accepted quality of Klipsch and that I should look for something else if I don't like it. However, I am hoping there is a fix like swaping out the crossover or other components.

Of course, here I am contradicting wuzzer.... humph [:P]

No harm done. Your way certainly is the most economical way to do it. But, I'd hate to have Klipsch's top of the line center channel and then downgrade it.

I would imagine that DeanG who has modified many, many RF-7s would have a similar crossover upgrade for an RC-7. Those who have installed Dean's crossover say that it takes the bite from the treble and smoothes the overall sound out.

Is there anything I can do to take out some of the "brightness" of the RC-7? It seems extremely harsh. I'm afraid that this is just an accepted quality of Klipsch and that I should look for something else if I don't like it. However, I am hoping there is a fix like swaping out the crossover or other components.

Is there any way you can post a picture of how your system is set up? Also, what components are you using as far as receiver/DVD player/CD player? I've found through upgrading every component in my system this year that a huge upgrade in sound quality can be had by going with better quality electronics.

Is there any way you can post a picture of how your system is set up? Also, what components are you using as far as receiver/DVD player/CD player? I've found through upgrading every component in my system this year that a huge upgrade in sound quality can be had by going with better quality electronics.

Actually, this is where I started to notice the problems with overly bright speakers. I just upgraded my receiver from a Denon AVR-3802 to an Arcam AVR350. The Arcam is regarded as one of the best recievers in terms of sound quality on the market but it makes the highs stand out a lot more than the Denon. I also recently tried the Pioneer Elite VSX-84 and had to return it as well becuase it made the Klipsch so bright.

I could go back to Denon and get a 4306 or 4806 but I'd hate to get rid of the Arcam. I'm also tempted to now upgrade my speakers rather than downgrade my receiver.

Of course, here I am contradicting wuzzer.... humph [:P]

No harm done. Your way certainly is the most economical way to do it. But, I'd hate to have Klipsch's top of the line center channel and then downgrade it.

I would imagine that DeanG who has modified many, many RF-7s would have a similar crossover upgrade for an RC-7. Those who have installed Dean's crossover say that it takes the bite from the treble and smoothes the overall sound out.

Does DeanG sell these crossovers online or would I need to PM him?

Have you tried to lower the center channel volume on the RC-7? That might work too. I have found that my RC-7 stands out more in my RB-75 set up if the volumes are all equal on my yamaha reciever, so I have decreased it to -1 instead of 0. Also, that harshness you speak of in the arcam, does it occur with your RF-35's too?

Have you tried to lower the center channel volume on the RC-7? That might work too. I have found that my RC-7 stands out more in my RB-75 set up if the volumes are all equal on my yamaha reciever, so I have decreased it to -1 instead of 0. Also, that harshness you speak of in the arcam, does it occur with your RF-35's too?

I have tried to lower the level of the center...down to -2db even. To clear something up...the RF-35's are also very bright as well as the RC-7. That is a seperate issue than the speakers having a different tone. I mostly notice the tone different when adjusting the levels or when using a demo CD that puts the same sound on each channel.

Here is my experience. Dean upgraded my rf-7's & rc-7 with new crossovers. All improved significantly & the rc-7 change was more noticable, for the better.

Search for deang crossover or crossover upgrade, there are plenty of threads to read.

You will have to stalk him on the forum to reach him.

slorente - if you will allow me to interject my opinion;

I read your AVS post where you are considering switching speaker lines due to "brightness".

An excellent pair of speakers can & probably will stay with you for life. Klipsch reveal the trueness of the source & a live sound both which attract me. Dean's crossover will really tame the "brightness". Have you done any room treatment? There is some excellent advice in the architectual section.

An avr or components will be switched or replaced periodically. They will become outdated or you may want to tweak your sound. The 2 channel guys seemingly do this weekly.

Anyway, one solution would be to tryout an H/K. You can give them a trial run at harmanaudio.com. I own an H/K 7200 avr & it is a great mate with Klipsch. It is a warmer sound probably akin to the Denon sound you like.

All my opinion. Don't give up on the Klipsch.

RF-35's bright? No no no no... they are very smooth sounding IMO. It can be stated that the 7's have an upper bite to em, not bright but very unforgiving.

Dont like the 35's, go to the 82's. its a much more laid back mello'er sound. 35's are a great deal especialy at discount prices, you cant go wrong with them.

Just a quick update...I bought 2 sets of speakers to audition at home in an attempt to replace my Klipsch. I tried the Energy Reference Conn. line (RC-50 and LCR center) and B&W 600 series. I auditioned them compared to the Klipsch for nearly 3 days straight. I am happy to say that I am going to keep the Klipsch. There were some subtle differences and each speaker had it's pros and cons but at the end of the day the Klipsch sounded awesome compared to these more expensive speakers and the others don't warrant the price increase. Also, something else happend during the 3 days. As I put more hours on my Arcam receiver, it balanced out and the Klipsch don't sound as bright. The Arcam AVR350 is by far the best sounding receiver I have ever heard...highly recommended!!!

I think I'll upgrade the crossovers in my Klipsch's and stop for a while. Now, if I could just get a hold of DeanG :)

DeanG just did my RC-7 & my RF-7's and the difference was one of the best upgrades I have ever done.

Just PM Dean and he will get back to you. The process is very simple.

I have a pair of RF-3II and I think dollar-for-dollar they are the best speakers on the market. I think the 35's are susposed to sound even better.

I too did some AB's with B & W 600 and Polk's and stayed with Klipsch wher I upgraded to the RF-7....Now the Heritgage line is calling.

The RC-7 is a great center...so are your 35's!

Phil