What other than horns

mowntnbkr

I have been wanting to try a pair of none-horn speakers just to do a comparison. I have been thinking about some JBL's, maybe L-100's or L-166's. I know there are plenty of you here that have JBL's, what is your take and is there a speaker other than what I mentioned that would be worthy of a comparison.

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/RM2.htm

Monitor Audio I have heard sound pretty good. Better attack and decay realism than B&W and Martin Logan speakers I have heard.

VMPS was reviewed in one of the last issues of Listener before it closed up. AN interesting company and design concepts. Have not been in a place to audition them.

Dhtman,

I am more curious than anything. All I have listened to is horns and wondering if I am missing anything. One of the issues confronting me is the fact that we have moved into a house 2/3 the size of our Alaska house and room may be an issue for HT applications. I would be using my cornwalls, heresy's and model 14's for HT which has a pretty good sized footprint. the Lascala's will go in my 2 channel room, heresy's in the garage and cornwalls in the shop. I will probably sell the model 14's.

Dana I sent you a pm, I really like the looks and have read some really good stuff on the KEF's. That is a much better footprint for HT.

Originally, that's exactly why I bought them (All KEF 5-channel). However, now that I have corner horns, I prefer the horns on the mains.

That leaves me with a pair of "orphaned" KEF's. Not a thing is wrong with them, they image like crazy, and have good bass (dual 10" in each cab) but I like the horns much better. They have a small footprint, but like I said, they are 48 inches tall. They weigh about 90-something lbs each. If I remember correctly, they are rated at 200 watts ea.

They want to be out in the room a bit, too - they won't work well placed in a corner, like with all of the "tall-and-skinny" ilk.

Next to a big screen TV, now you're talking.

I forgot to add that if you like the "British" sound, that delicious and thick midrange that British speakers tend to have, then these are your pups! Did I mention that they image like crazy, probably the best I've ever heard - the tweeter is a coax on the top driver and the height is just right. Those are two standout features. Bass isn't lacking, either.

DM

smooth response in a small room is difficult with horns imho. I have tried Kg4 and Heresy in my 14x14 home office but they were too 'honky' compared to my smooth-as-silk Dahlquist M904. These are just simple dome tweeter 10" bass reflex, not nearly as efficient as the Heresy, but very smooth as lower volumes.

I'm thinking the only Klipsch that might compete would be the Forte II, but haven't managed to wrangle a pair yet. Kind of embarassed because this room is where I do most of my listening and it's my only pair of non-Klipsch speakers.

M

KEF's tend to be really nice too - definetly worth a listen.

No need to be embarassed, real men listen to real music and them Dahlquists fricken rock at the more moderate levels in your office. [H]

I think one of the more common experiences that draws people away from horns is the "warmer" sound of the direct radiators. Dome tweeters, cone midrange, nice and soft sounding. Imaging is larger than life. The thing that tends to draw people back to horns is the dynamic range and "lack of mud on the windows". At least that's my take on it so far (based on limited experience and a few observations).

Answering the question of what to buy,other than your horns, simply means you are not happy with your horns. You need to tell us what your horns(LSs)are not doing for you. In my years, having almost every kind of speaker, or listening to every kind out there, there are many virtues and compromises made in the design. Not to mention the associated equipment being used and , most importantly, the room and speaker interaction. I would like to know more.

If you want a fairly cost-effective alternative for smaller rooms and lower volumes, I suggest a good pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s. I have an early pair on custom solid 7 inch risers in my 12 x 14 study. Within their volume constraints, they are very clear, can't be touched for imaging, and are very smooth. There is a large community of DQ-10 tweakers out there...many mods have been done. Mine are stock except for a few upgraded caps.

Last I looked, a decent pair seemed to be about $500. Would I give up my Corns for them? Of course not, but I wouldn't try to shoe horn my Corns into such a small room either.

Some on the website have opened up the top of the doghouse, then enclosed the back and put in a couple of bass ports. Others have done just the opposite built an enclosure with 2 bass ports, opened on the top, then opened up the bottom of the doghouse and set the speaker on top. If I remember right some said they got their LS to go as low as 37Hz. This is what I plan on doing as soon as we are settled in.

As far as I am concerned, do not waste your time. The LSs are magical. They are dynamic, portraying the "loud vs soft" in music, detailed, allowing you to hear everything, they image, meaning they can dissapear in the room, they have a very fast, natural bass, that most conventional speakers cannot come close to. They do not need megawatt amplifiers to control the woofs, and, if the room is large enough, they will "breath". I suppose I love my LSs.