Itunes 7 is SLLLOOOOWWW!

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

Anyone else "upgrade" to iTunes 7.0 recently? I just got it today, and wish I hadn't. It sucks 70% of my CPU just to play a file!! As a result, I can't navigate menus at all, without a 30 second delay on each action. iTunes was always SO inefficient compared to winamp, but I liked the functionality it offered. However, with the routine skips and dropouts that iTunes specializes in lately (last version was faster but still skipped) I have been forced to use better designed software (winamp). Only program I've seen that's worse is musicmatch jukebox. Unless you have about a 2.8 GHz with about a gig of ram, that prog won't even move!

Granted I'm using a P4 1.40 GHz, but you shouldn't need a $2,000 computer just to play some music, right? Anyone else agree that music software is getting bloated and saps way too much resources? I used to use an old P2 system with winamp to play tunes and it worked fine!

-Jon

I loaded on my MAC G5 Saturday and don't see any problems yet.

It went thru 3000 songs checking for "gapless" in less than a couple of minutes.

I attached my ipod to burn a couple CD's yesterday and no problems.

I don't have an itunes account (by choice) so I haven't loaded the artwork, which I don't think I will, but I don't think I would have any trouble.

I'm looking forward to see if it does indeed loads songs gapless. There are a few live albums I want to burn, but I hate that the tracks don't play seamless. I hate that second of delay between songs.

Hope it works for you.

Danny

No problems noticed here I use iTunes on two of my PC's and all runns smoothly.Well with a Crore 2 Duo running at 3.2Ghz it better.My A64 FX60 does a nice job on the AMD side. [:P]

Seriously iTunes is optimised for Mac OS and you would be better with WINAMP and the MAD plugin like Jay pointed.I also use Foobar,so light a Pentium 1 can run it in a speedy way.

Hey Guys,

According to preliminary research, the MAD plugin is only for verions of winamp before 3. I'm running 5, so I doubt MAD is going to work for me.

Also, if I remember correctly, winamp's stock decoder improved considerably over the years of 2.x, such that MAD really wasn't as important, hence the reason they didn't write for anything later.

Am I correct in this?

-Jon

Sorry small hijack... For some reason the podcast downloading stops many times. If I leave my pc on for the rest of the day sometimes it did load them after all. Sometimes it does work well, but mostly not. For me it's just one of those mysteries caused by the ghosts that seem to roam my pc.

Secondly, it loads the covers with the same unwillingness...

Suggestions? Thanks, Tim.