Need a single La Scala

sunprairie

I've been operating with pair of '89 LaScalas with BEC AA Crossovers and love them as mains. I've tried many things at center and can't seem to make anything work as well as I'd like with them. I've been trying to locate a single LaScala for center and have had 0 luck. Is there anyone out there with a single or that would be interested in splitting a pair off of eBay or Audiogon? There have been some single Belles, but I don't want to spend $1200 for my center and I don't know if that would be the best match anyway. Help!!!

I have considered going to something else in the Klipsch lineup that would be easier on shipping and availability like KL-650-THX, but don't know if I'd be happy departing from the Heritage line. Any Input on that??

Take it easy! The boards have been slow today. A single might be tough but I have a single pro LS top horn section I could cut loose with. I bought it from FZNINVT about a year and a half ago, I think I have $350 in it and would sell for the same +ship of course. That would leave you looking for a LS bass bin or something else to fill in the bass. It is in good shape, with a new grill and the insides are all nice. The outside could use another coat of black paint but it is not bad. Let me know.

Hang in there they do show up. Last year I found one La Scala on EBay for $300 in Houston. I meet the seller halfway and got one of BEC's crossovers for it.

I had a C7 before but my 2004 La Scalas overpowered it. Sounds great now with 3 LS up front.

I think Texas42 was trying to figure out how to do a LS center channle also.

He had a post check for it. Maybe you two can split a pair of LS.

He had a space issue so I suggested a split LS so he could put the bass bin below his tv and the HF section above the TV.

I put it under the tv and made a speaker grill to cover it up.

My best friend ran all the wires from the tv and speakers into the right wall and up into the attic and back to my bedroom where all my gear is. I have a remote sensor to control everything from the livingroom.

post-13699-13819310862846_thumb.jpg

My measurements show that I should have between 52 and 54" above a center lascala to the ceiling. That should give me room for easily a 100" and maybe up to a 106" if I go to near the ceiling with my screen. Is this too high for viewing? My viewing position would be about 16' back from the wall. Still researching the whole front projector idea and would appreciate some do's and don't's on the subject. Should probably switch the title of my post to Front Projection newbie??

there are some general rules on screen height positioning but I'm not sure.

I think maybe 1/3 of the screen should be below your direct sight line? Something like that- depends on your seating postion also I'd suppose. If you recline way back you might want the top of screen at the top of wall, but for normal seated viewing, you might be causing neck strain.

I'd look into that first before committing to a tall center speaker.

M

I am running a 119" HD, FP and have Fort'es as mains with a Acadamey center. At this size the tops of the speakers just fit in the middle of the frame of the screen (with the speakers bases removed) so it is as large as I could go. My PJ is mounted 12' from the screen and the main viewing position is about 14' back from the screen. This gives a nice smooth, clean image from my LCD PJ. I have a fixed Da-Lite screen and it required about 4 3/4" from the ceiling for mounting. Your screen should be low enough that viewing is done with the head in a normal position, if you need to look up to view the movie, your neck will get sore. Also, you need to keep in mind the viewing angle that your screen material requires. Most are about 30 deg. some less, some more.

There are several ways to go with a FPJ HT. The format you choose is what fits your needs best. Many people go with a HD format (16x9) and if you watch a lot of TV that is HD this is the ideal size. In this format, you have a constant WIDTH and you get black bars on top and below of the movies to adjust to the different movie formats.

Many who watch a lot of movies, opt for a wide screen and go with a constant HEIGHT setup. Here, you have a wide screen and zoom the image to fill the height of the screen and use curtains to adjust the width of the image. This is what the movie theiters do.

Either way will work, you need to decide which works for you.

I am basing a lot of my decision on wanting to run a LaScala @ center. (Standing) I am working with an overall wall height of 7'11". The standing LaScala would be about 36". My main viewing seating will be 16' from the wall. I want to do a fixed screen. I would like to go to HD format. Plenty of ceiling room to place projector anywhere. Mostly watch HD television and movies. I just feel that until I place a LaScala at center position, I won't be happy with the center channel sound. Maybe a Cornwall would make me happy; it's about the only thing I haven't tried. Ideas??

sunprairie is not online. Last active: 09-30-2006, 11:21 AMsunprairie

Your a little out of reach for a NYC local pickup.

I have 2 pairs of LaScala's that i am not using currently primed and pending re-painting.

I would break up a set if I could get them both units in the pair sold.

Shipping to ND is out of the question due to the cost and the fortress you would need built around them to get them there in one piece.

sunprairie is not online. Last active: 09-30-2006, 11:21 AMsunprairie

"Your a little out of reach for a NYC local pickup.

I have 2 pairs of LaScala's that i am not using currently primed and pending re-painting.

I would break up a set if I could get them both units in the pair sold.

Shipping to ND is out of the question due to the cost and the fortress you would need built around them to get them there in one piece."

Speakerfritz,

Gee, I have been interested in a single La Scala or a Belle to use between my K-Horns. I am currently using a Cornwall 2 (oiled oak) with its mate stored downstairs.

I am located in CT so I imagine we could work out some pick up point (if the beast would fit into a Volvo sedan (the Cornwalls did ...)).

There are obviously a number of "ifs", but keep this in mind as an option.

-Tom