Cornwalls Arrived

ChrisK

My Cornwalls arrived Friday. This weekend I started working on them. I'm looking for advice in a few areas.

First, here is info the speakers:

- No serial numbers visible on the tags on the back of the speakers (faded). But the numbers on the cabinets are 13 RO 38 and 13 RO 39. They were purchased new sometime between 1974-1976.

- Woofers - K33E, reconed about 10 years ago by original owner. His dog chewed the orginals.

- Squawkers - K55V

- Tweeters - K77

The finish is not as good as it appears in the photos.

Questions -

Does anyone have experience with this type of finish? They have been treated with Linseed Oil and waxed. Will they sand down ok?

What type of binding posts will fit best and easiest? The stock ones look kind of cheap.

Should I clean up the contacts on the crossovers? What solution works best?

Are the crossovers still good? The sound was great during a test before I took them apart. Is the ALK upgrade worth the dough?

What about the wires inside. Should they be replaced? Seems odd to spend good money on cables and interconnects and the wire inside looks pretty ordinary.

What about caulking the horns? Worth the hassle? Are there instructions available anywhere? Also the Squawkers were stuck pretty good to the cabinet before I removed them. Is this on purpose or will they seal ok when I put them back?

Anything I missed?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Chris King

Hermosa Beach, California

BTW - How about reccomendations on reasonable priced speaker cable. I will be driving them with a pair of Decware Zen SE84C's and a Arcam Alpha MCD.

Congradulations on the Cornwalls!!! I love mine. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions though. Mine are completly stock because I love how they sound and I havn't had time to mess around with them. Don't worry I am sure someone else will give you a\some answers.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Chris, your "R" in the serial number denotes a 1977 manufacturing date. The B series network is actually quite nice; personally, I prefer the sound over the later B-2 network, so you should probably keep what you have. I have Al K's networks in my older Cornwalls and they are wonderful, but they are complex and not inexpensive. You get what you pay for, so it's just a matter of what your demand elasticity curve is shaped like.

Does your serial number have a series label, like CW-BR or something? Looks like you have a raw birch speaker that was lacquered or shellac'ed ... If so you can get down to the original birch if you want, but you have to determine what coating is on there. All the raw birch cabinets were well sanded before leaving the factory so it shouldn't be too much work.

I wouldn't worry about the contacts or internal wiring ... unless they look abused. Just my two cents.

You'll enjoy your speakers!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

77_cw_b.jpg

You have the exact same speaker as I do. I have 1977 Cornwall I "Designer Series" speakers meaning they come with NO grill attachment. You can order a grill kit from Klipsch if you desire. My model, as you can see from above, is factory black birch with the optional grill kit. But I have to say, yours really is striking in natural wood.

One thing that might sway you on the grill aspect, I have found that unlike 99.9% of all the speakers I have owned, I actually PREFERRED the sound with the grill ON as opposed to off. All my other speakers are listened to sans grills.

Also, you will note the regular Type B crossover to the upper right. From what I have heard, this is a VERY natural crossover device and might just well be smoother and more musical than the ALK. While it goes give up the last little bit in speed and ultimage top end extension, the sound is extremely natural, balanced, and very nice. I would leave well enough along there.

The rope caulk treatment to the horns seems to be an advisable mod but I have not attempted it yet. I do plan on doing it however. I also plan on resoldering some better wire in there since I wanted to renew the contact anyway. As for wire choices, I dont even want to get into that here since a majority think that wire makes very little difference. Email me if you are interested.

kh

WOW, those do look nice! I like the flush, no cover look. I wouldn't even stain those or anything. Sand em and leave em as they are. WOW ...

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Can I ask how much you got them for?

I am running my CW with Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs which come in around 3.5w per channel. Unlike many others on here, I find they do produce adequate volume on almost 90% of your material, at least via my SET amps. I have an old EICO HF-81 that is also a very musical match but it doest not offer the finesse and subtle nature of the 2A3 amps. I will also add this, you will be VERY surprised at the quality of the bass via a good SET amp with top quality iron. My Moondogs have MagneQuest DS-025 output transformers which have great extension. The EICO has great outputs as well and the woofers are very controlled via either unit. Most would find it VERY hard to believe the sound and bottom end I am getting from a pair of 2A3 monoblocks. The bass is extremely powerful and full, without any bloat to speak of.

Interested to hear how they do with your Decware amps.

kh

ps- Vinyl will take you to the next level! I have never heard my Linn sound so good as with this setup. Also, I am currently using a PASSIVE preamp with a Cary for the tube phono stage. The Passive works VERY well so the passive on the two Zens should be fine.

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive Preamp

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

1977 Klipsch Cornwall I

Alternate Components:

EICO HF-81 - btw, perfect Cornwall match

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

ProAc Mini-Towers

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7af>s>

Hi CJK

I think you'll be tickled with your new corns. I'm using my cornwall I's with a single decware se84cs (no preamp). I've tried the corns with my Acurus A150 and RL11, but like the decware better. Someday I'll get my Bottlehead forplay preamp kit together and again try the A150 amp. I've always wanted to try a second decware amp however,and if anyone has one in my area they are invited to stop by for a biamp listen. don't forget to report what ya learn.