SBC Yahoo DSL Protection Services worthless?

Daddy Dee

Since moving to the last June, I have gotten DSL and use it in the office and home. The speed on the internet is nice especially compared to dialup, which was the only available service out in the country. I had decided against cable.

I will also say that SBC/ATT has the worst customer service I've experienced anywhere, anytime. Talking with people, whenever that was possible has been an absolute fiasco. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that since their merger, they are dealing with no telling what. However, their account management system is simply unsound.

The technical end of getting internet at a decent speed is fine.

What I'm actually wondering about is the effectiveness of the Protection Services Suite. SBC Yahoo offers (and I use) included in the dSL subscription, virus checker, spyware protection, parental controls, and seems like there is a fourth. I have a pc or two that still use Norton antivirus, but as the subscriptions run out, I've been changing over to the free SBC service.

The spyware tool seems worthless. On several occasion when I run a scan, it doesn't find anything. Then running Ad-Aware, I will find twenty or so and delete them. Then I run SpyBot Search and Destroy and find another ten or twelve instances of spyware and delete them. That doesn't inspire me to have faith in the SBC YahooWare.

If the antivirus performs no better than the spyware tools, then one could be in deep do-do. Any suggestions? Pay the piper and keep symantec?

Dee...keep the spyware from SBC/ATT/Yahoo...disable the virus protection and get (free download...Kim Komando site or elsewhere) AVG from Grisoft...very well thought of and free...I use Zone Alarm Firewall...another freebie from Kim Komando site (www.Komando.com) I believe...then you'll be set...I had Symantec and it was okay (paid for a few years) but I think these freebies are just as good. (I also use AT&T/Yahoo and agree, when you get someone good, great...when you don't...headaches follow!)

Bill

Bill

Also download Spyware Blaster another freeware. If it is not on Komando then get on Majorgeeks.com.

Besides a full McAfee suite I also bought Adaware Plus SE for a nominal fee. If a site tries something, it slams the door. If it is really bad it slams the door and closes the IE window fast.

Rick

I'll put a vouch in on the other side. I ran Symantec products for years and always thought they slowed things way down.

Tried the free stuff on Komando.com...ok but not a lot of features like being able to automatically schedule a scan...

The ATT Antivirus runs in the background has caught many an inbound transmission and visibly blocked them. It automatically updates everytime I turn my computer on, and runs a scan in the middle of the night daily...

The Anti spy is not as good as some, but, one anti spy program is never enough. They all are better at catching different things. I use Microsoft Defender, Lavasoft As-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and the ATT Anti spy. They all catch different stuff.

The Parental Controls from ATT are adequate too...

You still need a firewall, and I don't believe that the one offered in WINXP is adequate. It blocks incoming, but not outgoing transmissions....

Anyway, just wanted to voice an opinion for the other side...I have been super happy with ATT since I got DSL a couple years ago. Its never down and the service is great for the price...

As always...YMMV

Everything SBC/ATT does is worthless.

I didn't think I could hate a company more than I hated SBC - until they recombined with ATT. Reminds me of their old slogan "reach out, reach out and crush someone." The unresponsive monopoly is back - and worse than ever.

One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingys...

James