Most esoteric joke...

Ray Garrison

Engineers use 'j',

Mathematicians use 'i'.

In both cases it represents the square root of negative one and is used to form the imaginary part of a complex number.

In the progression of number sets (Natural, Integers, Rational, Real, and Complex) each upgrade is needed to perform additional operations not possible in the one before. Amazingly, once you get to Complex numbers you're done defining numbers- on from there its groups, rings, and fields...

ok, now my brain definitely hurts- can I go home now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Engineers use 'j',

Mathematicians use 'i'.

In both cases it represents the square root of negative one and is used to form the imaginary part of a complex number.

In the progression of number sets (Natural,

Integers, Rational, Real, and Complex) each upgrade is needed to

perform additional operations not possible in the one before.

Amazingly, once you get to Complex numbers you're done defining

numbers- on from there its groups, rings, and fields...

ok, now my brain definitely hurts- can I go home now?

No, now you may go back and read my joke again.

(Imagine Flounder's voice in "Animal House") "This thread is great!"

One esoteric joke was consipicuous by its absence, though (or did I just miss it):

Rene Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Would you like a drink?". Descartes says "I think not", and disappears.

(and I am sure you all know what the integral of 1/cabin d(cabin) is, right?)

log(cabin)

Actually, log(cabin) + C which is spoken (Log cabin by the Sea)

but this is actually a log to the base e not 10, so to fully qualify the result it would be

Natural log cabin by the Sea

But then again...

A guy decided to go to the brain transplant clinic to refreshen his supply of brains. The secretary informed him that they had three kinds of brains available at that time. Doctors' brains were going for $20 per ounce and lawyers' brains were getting $30 per ounce. And then there were mathematicians' brains which were currently fetching $1000 per ounce.

"1000 dollars an ounce!" he cried. "Why are they so expensive?"

It takes more mathematicians to get an ounce of brains," she explained.

But then again...

A guy decided to go to the brain transplant clinic to refreshen his supply of brains. The secretary informed him that they had three kinds of brains available at that time. Doctors' brains were going for $20 per ounce and lawyers' brains were getting $30 per ounce. And then there were mathematicians' brains which were currently fetching $1000 per ounce.

"1000 dollars an ounce!" he cried. "Why are they so expensive?"

It takes more mathematicians to get an ounce of brains," she explained.

He clearly needed to go to some kind of clinic if he thought he needed to "refreshen" his supply of brains...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source

re?fresh?en /r?'fr??thinsp.png?n/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-fresh-uhthinsp.pngn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
to make or become fresh again; refresh.

[Origin: 177585; re- + freshen]

Irregardless of that, can I sell you a hot water heater, there, bub?

Dictionary.com? Are these the same people who give us spell checkers? None of my dictionaries have this word. Furthermore, when you think of it logically, freshen describes the verb tense adequately every time. Refreshen sounds more like it came from the Department of Redundancy Department of Monty Python fame than actual English.

Besides Ray, you missed my joke. I was able to "derive" a joke from yours, using my brain (cost per ounce may vary).