ALK trachorn in LaScala.....Has anyone done that?

Tarheel

Making plans to mod the lascalas with the trachorn. Will make a template and use a router to make the opening larger. Has anyone made this mod? Any tips to pass along? There is not a lot of room between the top of the horn and the bottom of the tweeter and not much room for error. I will be using the horn only...not the grille/adaptor. I think the horn has a flange for mounting to the cabinet. I will have to use an adaptor to use the LS drivers and ALK has those.

Chuck

AL....I am assuming that I can mount the horns to the cabinets with the flange concealing the rough cut. Since the hornes will remain exposed are they finished or do I finish with a clear product, or paint them?

Care to weigh in on the Altec woofer I am using and if I am loosing any bass by not using the k-33?

Chuck

trachorn.gifChuck,

There is a flange along the top edge and another along the bottom edge of the mouth. They are spaced back slightly less than 3/4 inch . The flanges have 3 holes in each so they can be held to the back of the baffle board with #6 wood screws. This allows the mouth to be flush with the FRONT side of the baffle.

The LaScala woofer horn has a restricted throat that was optimized for the K33. If you put a better driver in it you are taking a stp backwards. Use a genuine (cheap) K33!

Al K.

AL....I am assuming that I can mount the horns to the cabinets with the flange concealing the rough cut.

Chuck

You should make a clean template to use as a guide when routing. You can make the cut as clean as you have the talent. Leave the bottom part of the opening where the current opening is. The difficulty is that the piece is nailed in. You could hit nails on the top horizontal route. [:(] Not a good thing at all.

Bruce