6.1 movies....are they out there??

shimband

Gladiator and i think Chicken Run.. i don't own very many DVD's so i don't have many to look at to tell you, mostly rent them and rip them... Smile.gif

But they are both 6.1, i am positive about Gladiator

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Don't forget the recent offering of the second Holy Trilogy (Star Wars Episode I). This is THE reason I'm currently evaluating a new reciever (front runner was Denon 3802, now looking at an Integra dtr-7.2).

Terminator 2 is dts-es. I have Chicken Run (for the kids, honest Smile.gif ) and it is dts-es, but dolby 5.1.

if you haven't seen any of these, i would recommend them all.

also, what about the newest DVD, the Planet of the Apes. It is supposed to be the most advanced DVD to date. Anyone snagged it yet?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

The best movie's in 6.1 are the ones that are specifically designated as Dolby EX or DTS ES. However many 5.1s have an extractable rear signal. My Outlaw 1050 pulls a good deal of rear efffect from many Dolby 5.1 DVDs. However the best are those with the specific designation. Unfortunatly there are not a lot of these. The Dolby site also contains a list. www.dolby.com

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

yea it's all in the encoding (source-like a dvd) & decoding (processor-like in the receiver/prepro/dvdp).

6.1 is really a misnomer unless it's dts 6.1 discrete (try to find one of those dvd Smile.gif). though to play that

format your processor must have that decoding. unless it's that, the rear center played from 1 or 2 speakers is merely a matrix blend of the discrete L&R surround channels.

i forget what es & ex encoded dvd do to help out a processor that has dolby ex or dts 6.1 matrix capability, but those disks do sound better on the rear

center w/ my ex/es prepro (anyone?). guess the matrix channel is actually encoded on the disk.

though if you have that processor you should still get this same matrix blend from the rear center using only a 5.1 disk. & w/ a stereo signal a processor should use prologic decoding to produce a matrix blend in the rear center from the delayed L&R surround signals (kinda like it does to get the matrix blend from the front center from the front L&R channels).

it gets confusing because 5.1,6.1,7.1,etc. gets applied to discrete channels, processing, &/or speakers used. though they're 3 different interrelated things.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

quote:

Originally posted by shimband:

Does anyone know if there are any titles of movies that have the 6.1 surround sound?

Thanks,

Mike

A couple of discreet 6.1 DVD's are Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition (metal box) and Gladiator.

Both are excellent. Both also contain 5.1 soundtracks so you have nothing to lose getting them.

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

http://www.ravenimaging.com/bobl/audioequip