I think my speakers blew it....

ChrisMOG

I really think that my 4.1s just died on me. I was playing my music like I always do and all of sudden my ears were filled with static! The music was being drowned out my just horrible static. I was like "WTF" and turned the power off and unplugged the speakers because I thought they could of been overheatng. I felt the back of the sub and it was really warm...but then again I don't touch the back of the sub that much so I had no prior temperature to compair it to. I let the sub cool down and then plugged the system back in and turned them on. Disaster...Any semi-loud sound coming out of the speakers causes static and is horribly distored. This is with the bass turned all the way down. When I move the bass knob up to even the 9 o'clock possition I get loud, horrid high-pitched static-sounding noises. I should note it sounds like this on all four satellites. The sub isn't doing too well either..it seems to have forgotten how to produce bass. It just sits there making bass comparable to these old cheapo speakers that cost me $5. The satellites also buzz when not in use..and I mean when the power LED is on red. In conclusion, I believe my speakers are dead. Kinda pathetic.

how long have you had your speakers? where did you buy them?

first, troubleshoot by pluggng them into a portable cd player and playing sound... is it bad? then call or email amy with the info below.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

this makes 3 best buy cases in one week. what is the deal with best buy and bad pro's?

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Hahah I am not placing the blame on BestBuy :P I am going to start comparing Klipsch as the Ford of Speakers...except Ford never had anything I wanted :P I already told some friends of my mishapp with the 4.1s and I think it just helped make up their mind to go with those new Logitechs over the 4.1s..owell.

My year and a half old V2.400s just suffered the same

fate on Halloween (I guess I should not have been

playing that Stratovarious so loud - but hey, I needed

some music to listen to while sitting on the front

porch handing candy out to the kiddies in the

neighborhood). Unfortunatly, they being a year and

half old, the warrenty was no longer good. I ended

up buying a replacement amp on ebay (the amplifier

itself). The guy I bought from will ship it on Monday

and hopefully I'll see it by friday. In the mean time,

it is these trusty old Cambridge Soundworks FPS 1800s

I have as a spare set that is providing the audio

(I'll admit, for a $100 set of speakers, they actually

sound pretty darn good!).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

• 2 weeks later...

Before I say anything, my 4.1s are known to be the best sounding speakers in my college dorm. People are shocked at the quality and power of them everytime they come in my room and my neighbors hate me (heh...but always show up when a movie is being watched in my room on my pc).

Although sadly, I recently experienced the same problem. I was blasting my speakers with some heavy bass music while I was being taught how to break dance outside my room. I had max surround and max sub and my vol was a little bit past the half way point on the nob. All of a sudden I hear a nasty static-like noise and my heart just sank into my stomach. That night I did not sleep. Similarily to chrisMOG, everytime I would turn the bass nob past the halfway point with my vol nob only 1/4 up, I would hear the static bullshit instead of the incredible bass I used to have.

I got these speakers last summer with my system from a custom pc company on the net and i should still have the receipt. So should I call them or kilpsch?

so you have had them for over a year? or was it THIS summer that you got them?

If you go them THIS summer, the summer of 2001, than you can send them to Klipsch. I doubt they have any warranty on them from teh computer company.

if they are over 1 year old then your warranty is up. i am not sure how/if klipsch does promedia repairs.

Contact Klipsch, Amy, with the info below, she will help you out Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

justin, i remember you recommended us to get a power cleaner (can't remember what you call it...) to get rid of the hissing sound from the satellites right? i just couldn't remember what did you recommend and where to get...

can anyone tell me this kinda info?

thanks

------------------

i am stupid and i know i am

Light dimmers, power tools, refrigerators, air conditions, radio transmitters, cellular phones and etc. can all generate electromagnetic interference and radio frequency noise. these surge protecters use special filters to reduce electronic noise. EFI/RFI filters are other names for them.

Normally the power cleaners (filters) cost around $80-200! However, Lowes has some that go from 25-60 bucks and they are still good quality. I forgot the name they have at lowes, i think it is their brand. go to the surge protection aisle and look for some surge protecters, the name i think has wood in it Smile.gif

i will try to remember what they were called. if anything, go to a HT store and get some, if you go to best buy, they always have some MonsterCable power filters that ppl returned caues it was not needed, and they are like 60 bucks!

------------------

-justin

just go to this link, it is where i got some of my info from and i think just about all monstercable surge protecters clean power so i am sure you will find one here that will work for you!

http://monstercable.com/power/index.html

------------------

-justin

I dont get it...I never have my bass past the little dash mark they provide, surround over 3/5 the way around, and volume not past 1/4 the way. There's no reason you should have the bass all the way up (one reason you might have blown your speakers)...if you're using WinAMP or MusicMatch Jukebox as your player, a way to add cleaner bass and overall sound, download DFX for winamp and use that. It's a lot more effective and delivers a cleaner sound. Just a suggestion...

I had a pair of 4.1's about 2 years ago with the sub around 55% software and max on the little nob thing. They worked fine and never blew. The only problem I had with those is the pod was broken so I took it into best buy when all I wanted was a new pod but they replaced the entire system for free.

Therefore I think that you can't blow your speakers because of too much base, just maybe some glass.

------------------

Brian

Brian@n2v.net

Also, the amp has a limiter that helps prevent the blowing of the speakers.

------------------

-justin

The control pod was broken, or so we thought. The replaced just that part for me and it didn't solve the problem with the static that was occuring when I turned the volume nob. So they replaced the entire thing. So they replaced the set for free, of course I had a 3-year plan that I got when I bought a computer system and the Klipsch system came with it.

So they replaced it then the set that they replaced it with blew. This was a different experience! I tried to return my blown system they had given me 3 months earlier and since I had my 3 year warranty I figured I was covered as I was before. I return it and they say no way, what they did before was a mistake, your warranty isn't for your speakers it was for the computer system. Needless to say everyone in the entire fricken Best Buy heard the argument and we left.

We later called Best Buy's manager and asked him to fix our problem. This was his chance to say I'm sorry we'll take the system back, sorry for your troubles.... BUT NO! He said sorry, thats it, no we'll take it back, no refund, no nothing. This was BS.

We then call Best Buy's Corporate offices. We spend an hour on the phone between then, the store near us, and the supervisors at Best Buy. They finally get the store near us to replace our system and Corporate files a complaint against that store.

We got what we wanted and what was right to begin with. You just have to fight for it sometimes. Needless to say I will never darken the doors of Best Buy again.

Brian

------------------

Brian

Brian@n2v.net

WOW! You went all the way to the top! Congratulations. Smile.gif So, how are your 5.1's working now?

------------------

-justin