OT - New Computer

justin_tx_16

I got some bad news back from the doctor. It appears I picked up an intercellular bactierial infection that has been wreaking havoc on my eyes and upper respiratory system for the past few years. Just now they realized what exactly has been going on it goes a little something like this.

Cornea perforations

Optic-nerve deterioration

The doctor thinks we have caught it before things get too terrible, read, complete blindness. RIght now I'm just dealing with really poor vision and a couple of nasty looking eyes (blood vessels bursting and t-cells killing pretty much everything around them and expelling it, yum).

Anyways. As a bit of retail therapy, I just got off the phone with Apple and ordered my new computer. I figure, if I only have vision for the next few years (worse case scenario, and good selling point) I might as well have a few good years.

Specs

24" Screen

2.33Ghz Intel Duo

3gb RAM

500 GB harddrive

256 RAM video card

Apeture (new version)

Adobe Creative Suite Premium

Wireless Mighty Mouse and Keyboard

MS Office 2004

Apple Care (3year)

Last night I stopped by Express for Men and picked up a suit.

After paying $1970 last night on medications, all of this seemed trivial!

I would wait,no reason to jump on a ac.Your current computer is no slouch.Unless you are gaming,but for gaming a full blown PC eats any Mac whole.

The 7600GT is a fine budget video card,for the same amount of money you could get a high quality PC with a ATI X1900XTX or 7900GTX video card,video wise you would leave the 7600GT in the proverbial dust.

I almost purchased a Mac untill I found the Mac Pro uses an Intel board(no problems yet..)with PCIE8X slots! As a techie I demand dual PCIE16X slots(even if thier bandwith is far from used by the current crop of upscale video cards).

Sorry to hear the bad news.Do not let bad news from any doctor keep you down,I know it is easy to say but the worst thing is having a continous worry.This can make healthy people very ill and finish them.

One of the customers I know well was diagnosed with an illness that shuts down the nervous system and causes havoc.He refused the bad news and even if he is sick is still alive and kicking four years after the bad news(the doc gave him a few months!!).So keep the spirit high and do not let anyone bring you down.

Good luck

I'm doing alright really. What sucks is my dad recently lost his job, 40% of the work-force let go, so I don't have health insurance. He will be fine and will have a job shortly, so I'm not really worried.

I could get insurance, really good insurance even, from Starbucks but there is serious drama there. Being a shift manager I have to keep 25 hours a week. My manager has scheduled me 6 hours for the past two weeks but sent me home 5:58 minutes early on my ONE six hour shift. So for two weeks of work I have two minutes of pay. Oh, and she didn't pay me for my last pay cycle! It's a pretty crappy situation. The company is fantastic, my manager, swamp creature. So since I don't get the minimum 20 hours a week for the benefits, I can't get the insurance.

The doctor yesterday said that there was anotable improvement in my eyes, especially the left eye. So good news there, yay.

But don't worry, I'll be fine haha. I have another job doing techie work for a constuction company. Right now I'm supposed to build a parabolic wi-fi distribution system... fancy way of saying I was challenged to make a 802.11g signal shoot out to about 500 feet instead of the 250 foot limitation. If you have any tips here, shoot them to me! I have a wednesday dead line, here's to making it work!

I am thinking about getting the Griffin FireWave to connect my new iMac to my ProMedia 5.1 Ultras, unless you guys have a better idea?

By friday I should have pics of my new computer and my new swanky RX glasses and I guess I should show you guys my new digs. Got a nice plasma television paired up with my heresy's and HK430 which is still pumping the tunes as pure as possible!

No matter what happens to my eyes, at least I will have my hearing, which is what really matters right? :) Can't enjoy Klipsch just by looking!

-justin

• 2 weeks later...

My new computer finally came in, it is in the middle. Above is my Dell Laptop, to the left is my old home made PC, to the right is my other new iMac (school was selling them for $1000 off, I couldn't pass up that deal).

I got the 24" iMac with 2.33Ghz intel dual core, 3gb ram and 500gb hard drive. My FireWave soundcard comes in monday so I can use my ProMedia Ultra's with it.

How rediculous does this look? haha. To the left of the laptop, you can barely see my Stolen from PWK mug :-)

PC, Laptop and Two iMacs