New Guy with Midlife Crisis

dewam

Being in my mid fifties, it was time to get that new red sport car, or something else to relive those early times. In my late teens I was fortunate enough to hear a McIntosh/Klipsch system. I soon purchased a mac 1700 and some AR 7's. I loved my new stereo gear, and enjoyed it for many years. Times changed and I sold that gear around 1980 (kept the albums). My lovely wife had some stereo gear when I met her, and we have used it for 20+ years. The other day while listening to one chanel cut in and out, she says that she would like a better stereo. Having learned not to pass up a chance when it appears, I soon had a McIntosh 4100 in the house, and was looking for those Klipsch speakers I could never afford. I found a pair of Cornwalls (1972 verts) in my brothers neighborhood, and had to convince him to pack and ship them. This is where the midlife crisis line worked well, he understood my problem and soon had them shipped to me. When they arrived I had them hooked up for less than ten minuites before I had to go. When I arrive home a few hours later the house is rocking, and the wife says "these speakers are AWSOME". I guess that means I can now spend more time and money tweaking things. Thanks to all on this board for starting my re-education. I've read a LOT of old threads, just enough to learn how little I know. Den

Congrats Den! Nothing like a house where everybody enjoys rock'n,

and nothing like McIntosh and Klipsch to get it done. I have a

pair of McIntosh mono blocks and have been trying (quite unsucessfully)

to get in touch with a woman who's selling a pair of Cornwalls on

Craigslist. If she ever responds, I'll have the magic

elixir as well.

In the meantime, what kind of TT are your spinning all that great vinyl

on? Your prized collection surely deserves a fine phonograph.

Must be alot of old farts out there still.........certainaly see McIntosh-Klipsch mentioned alot amongst the older dawgs here...........Many of us HEARD and REMEMBERED that very sound.....like a Gibson guitar through a stack of Marshall's turned up to 11, that was and is the Metal sound of old......and the Mac/Klipsh duo reproduced that sound..BEST......

Polvoloco, at this time the tt is an area that needs an upgrade. I am using a Pioneer pl-7 that I'm sure could use a new cartridge. I wouldn't quite call my vinyl collection classic, most of them are just old records. Den

"My best advice... don't tweek anything right off. Just let your ears enjoy the Cornwalls"

That is the plan for now. I suspect I will start replacing caps in the near future, and who knows where that will lead me. We really are enjoying, the wife remarked it was like having all new music again. Sometimes keeping Moma happy is the thing that keeps Dad happy. Den