LaScalas for sale

Tarheel

My plans are to build a pair of superscalas if I can sell my existing 2 year old LaScala clones built by forum member Bluesboy. Bob Crites crossovers and unblemished birch cabinets with numerous coats of tung oil. I would prefer to sell intact and not part them out. Will deliver within 100 mile radius of Wilmington, NC otherwise pickup only. $1200.

Will not be near a computer most of the weekend so I may not answer inquires befor monday. Bluesboy may be available on this thread to answer technical questions.

Chuck

superscalas ? Are these 18 inch woofer versions?

Speakerfritz, No...just more along the line of the new LaScala IIs using 1" mdf, spacer between bass bins and horn enclosure. I plan to use the following....Altec 902s, 511B horns, Beyma tweeters in a small box to sit on top of the horn cabinet. Maybe rollers on the bottom and piano black paint. I have to say I was not warming up to the piano black but pricing veneer is changing my mind.

Duke...Any suggestions before I get started? How do you think the black will work with the room and other equipment?

Chuck

Bluesboy has these same components in his modded khorns and they sound great. Has anyone done this with LaScalas? The 511 horn will only have 3/8" clearance on each side and must be front mounted and the Beymas will have their own little box and sit on top. Work has started on the bass bin assembly while I get the rest of the parts. I have the horns and woofers but need everything else (Beymas, xovers, 902 drivers).

Any suggestions or leads on parts will be appreciated.

BTW...What would we call this hybrid?

Chuck

I think Forum member Steamer is using LSI bass bottoms with the 511's and tweeter package on top. He had rather new black LS and did not want to make the cuts on them to accomodate the 511's.

Other members have successfully added the 511's in place of the K400's but there is some cabinet modification necessary.

Let me know how you like the sound. I have 511's, no Altec drivers yet, but am interested in possibly doing this also.

Michael

Thanks Michael.....I would love to see pictures of the LaScala with the 511 in place if anyone out there has done this. I will take some photos as we move from the bass bins (relatively straightforward) to the horn and tweeter cabinet since this is where the creative juices will flow. This is new territory so all imput is appeciated. Any suggestions on the xovers?

Chuck

Klipsch can get birch, oak, or cherry MDF in one inch, which is what it uses. I understand they get 5x10 foot sheets so there is less waste with the cut order. Those must weigh a TON!

M

I wish I could find a source for hardwood MDF in our area. It takes two men to lift a 4x8 sheet of 1" MDF. I bet 5x10 sheet would really be some fun to run through the table saw!

bluesboy

I have had pretty good results laminating half inch ply together to make one inch ply.

Speaker's, work benches, router tables, floor under layment, etc.

Main check point is cut the wood about an inch bigger than needed, apply the glue an inch short of the edges, trim cut when dry. Check for warp pieces and glue edges making contact while compressing the center of the two warped pieces together.

Practice on scrap low grade ply.

bluesboy

I have had pretty good results laminating half inch ply together to make one inch ply.

Speaker's, work benches, router tables, floor under layment, etc.

Main check point is cut the wood about an inch bigger than needed, apply the glue an inch short of the edges, trim cut when dry. Check for warp pieces and glue edges making contact while compressing the center of the two warped pieces together.

Practice on scrap low grade ply.

The thing is, I don't want to use plywood. Plywood with the void free characterectics needed to build speakers is just too expensive. My material of choice has got to be MDF. The options are to buy raw MDF and veneer it, find a source for veneered MDF or paint it. Painting is the least expensive of the options.

Looks like plans have changed on the new speakers. Have been advised to use 811b Altecs with the 902 drivers rather than the 511b. Can I audition the new horn (811) and driver by sitting them on top of the cabinet and hooking them up to the BEC crossovers that crossover at 400hz. Was told that the LaScala woofer will go higher and to cross at 700hz or in other words "you do not need to cross over so low that you need a 511 horn". Do I need to make any adjustments to the xover?

Chuck