RB-75 Auditioning

Al1

Hello everyone,

I recently found some RB-75's used for demo purposes that has some evident damage to one of the cabinets. The cone itself looks like there is no visible damage.

Questions:

1) Could a damaged cabinet affect audio quality for HT purposes?

(Cabinet damage does not extend into the speaker chamber)

2) What is the best way to determine actual problems with the speaker

in the store?

My current plan is to bring a CD with freq sweep and see if I can detect problems at any range with my own ear.

But this might be time consuming, ultimately not worthwhile without placement in a properly treated room and less than optimal without a "golden" ear.

Other ideas on a simplified method?

Yes, there was quite a bit of damage on the cabinet with lots of scratches. Approx ~400 for the pair. I'll try to post a pic of equipment. (thoughts on price?)

I can live with ugliness, I can't live with poor performance though..... (hmm.. was I talking about speakers or girlfriends?)

Welcome to the forum Al1,

I own 2 pairs of RB-75's. Unless they are REALLY beat up I think $400 would be a decent price especially if you are buying them from a Klipsch dealer. If that's so, there should be some sort of store policy to let you bring them home to try them out--If they don't work out you should be able to bring them back for a full refund. BTW, They retailed new for $1200 a pair.[:)]