I'm buying the SVS...one question about hookup

wuzzzer

Going to give the SVS 16-46 PC-Plus a try. I emailed the seller and I'm going to his house on Sunday to check it out. He had it packed up ready to ship but he said he'd unpack it and set it up so I could listen to it first.

The only powered subwoofer I've owned was a Definitive Technology 15" sub that was a one note boom-boom box. I think it had a 250 watt amplifier. It worked ok with my Definitive Tech satellite speakers, but was no match for either the RF-25s I had or my RF-7s.

Alright, here's my question: My H/K receiver is a 2 channel that has a sub pre-out (left and right) that as far as I can rememer is crossed over at 150Hz. It also has pre-in and pre-outs. My first inclination would be to use the pre-outs to the sub and then back to the pre-ins. Doing this will filter the bass that is amplified by the SVS and leave the rest of the signal for the H/K to amplify.

Would I see any benefit from hooking the sub up to the sub out on the receiver? There's no menu or settings on the receiver to specify if a sub is connected and no settings to set a speaker to 'small' or 'large' or anything like that. If I do this, the receiver will be amplifying the full signal.

Am I correct in thinking that the pre-out and pre-in connection will be the best way to go?

What a Definitive 15" sub was a...fart box,err boom box! But many mags got paid well with add money and wrote rave reviews,calling these POS jokes "BEST EVER" and "NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE IT" and... "AMAZING MY EARS BLEED LIKE A ....."

Definitive makes some good products but like B0$e their hype machine is about inflated reviews from "AWARD WINNING" bums.

Sorry I had to take a stab at Deaf Tech.

Connect to the sub out,and worst case The sub has a crossover.

Use a Y adaptor or sub interconect terminated with a Y.From sub pre out to sub line in both L and R connected.I a case when the crossover is fixed or worse you have no cutoff for the mains,cut the sub deeper listening and making it blend with the mains.

The sub's gain,phase and crossover point are your best pals here. make 100% sure your phase is dialed.I think you know this

I don't think I need a Y adapter, the sub out is stereo, both left and right.

The SVS sub has a built in filter that is very adjustable.

My thinking is that it would be best to use the pre-outs instead of the sub-out. The SVS has low level inputs and low level outputs and will filter out the bass material and the receiver will then amplify the rest. Otherwise if I use the sub pre-out, both the receiver and the sub will be amplifying the low bass information.

If I use the regular pre-outs and pre-ins there won't be frequency overlap.

Using pre outs you would have to run some quality well shielded interconnects to the sub low level IN,then from the outs run again same quality interconnects back to pre IN.

For sure it will work,as for overlaping,not an issue as if you read the manual,it should cut 80hz down signal.Cut the sub around80hz where it blends best.

I do have cats...two of them to be exact! One of them still has his claws. If I ever see him doing anything to the SVS he'll be in a box on the way to the vet!

i have a friend that had svs cylinders until he sold them,The cat and dog scratched them all up,Then they tipped them over and the dog chewed the svs woofers to pieces,What a mess,cone metal rubber and garbage all over the place.[:)][:D][:D],Whats funny is it happened again ,The dog tipped the cylinders over,But never touched the new drivers,He replaced them with Adire drivers. Gee even animals no better whats good.[:P]

Lest anyone get an idea that you must worry about animals with the SVS tubes style subs... mine have Never bothered them - especially after their first encounter with the sub - I think the cat hid for the better part of the day.

And if you have problems with cat scratching, I might suggest that they lack sufficient scratching surfaces (& that's part of the owner's responsibility to provide!) which provide a more attractive scratching environment. This is easily done with a sheet of sissel 'carpet' wrapped around a post or (even better) wrapped and attached with velcro tape to the 3 surfaces of an entryway/ doorway.

As far as damaging the woofer on a tube-style SVS, I can barely reach the woofer with my fingers - as there is a base plate that completely covers the base and the internal woofer - leaving only an effective slot of ~1.75 inches around the circumference of the base.

If you have an animal that can not only stick his head into a 1.75 inch slot and Then turn his head 90 degrees to chew on the woofer, I dare say your 'mouse' may be a threat (if it includes rubber as a regular part of its diet!). If its head is larger than 1.75", you have NO worry regards to the woofer! When was the last time you stuck your head through a mail slot?

But in all honesty, they are even pretty much child proof - and that 2-legged animal poses a much greater hazard than any 4-legged animal.[:P]

Oh, and as mentioned earlier, if you are running a single channel LFE out, you do NOT have to use a Y cord to feed both L&R inputs to the sub. You will not hurt anything, but you will gain nothing with this configuration. You should use both L&R sub inputs if you are running 2 discrete channels into the sub.

Nice choice, Wuzzer!!

I've had one of those "Water heater" sized subs for 6 yrs and still enjoying it.

Enjoy!!!!

JJ

I had a Ultra water heater for 2 days,How good it was after many tests I dont know ,BUT...We all agreed 7 of us, after hours of testing it was better to pull the plastic port top off and use it for a garbage can on the city street. A Ratshack sub performs better.

Nice choice, Wuzzer!!

I've had one of those "Water heater" sized subs for 6 yrs and still enjoying it.

Enjoy!!!!

JJ

I had a Ultra water heater for 2 days,How good it was after many tests I dont know ,BUT...We all agreed 7 of us, after hours of testing it was better to pull the plastic port top off and use it for a garbage can on the city street. A Ratshack sub performs better.

ouch

[ I had a Ultra water heater for 2 days,How good it was after many tests I dont know ,BUT...We all agreed 7 of us, after hours of testing it was better to pull the plastic port top off and use it for a garbage can on the city street. A Ratshack sub performs better.

Hmm...I guess I better head over to the one in the mall and check them out then. [^o)]

Nice choice, Wuzzer!!

Enjoy!!!!

JJ

I do not know what SVS did to you? Did TV shoot you with a pellet gun? Now SVS is not the most musical sub around but to compare one to a trash can! [:@]

The best compliment that can be paid to any subwoofer IMO, (besides the usual considerations of adequate overhead, low extension capabilities, and clear/tight frequency response across it's entire audible range with low THD), is that the sub in question reproduces the source LFR and LFE faithfully, (in other words, it doesn't miss any of the content, but on the same token it doesn't add anything artificially that is not part of the source), and that it blends well with high end quality speaker systems. I haven't heard the 16-46 PC Plus, but I have heard the SVS boxes, and they display these attributes effortlessly. In fact, this is so much so, that from an audible standpoint, the sub simply dissapears. To my ear, all audible LFR for music content seems to be coming from my main speakers. It is so transparent and musical that it doesn't seem like the sub is hardly working at all. Thats until you pop in a DVD with good ol fashion LFR and LFE in DTS and feel the sub do it's magic. Fantastic sub for music as well as HT.

I agree with you 100% WolfsBane. On Sunday night my wife helped me (reluctantly) adjust the phase, gain and crossover settings on the subwoofer.

We watched The Incredibles and I was amazed at how much LFE information is on that DVD! I watched it at a friend's house a while back who has a HTIB setup with a boomy 'sub' that's adjusted way too loud compared to the rest of the speakers, rear speakers mounted way up by the ceiling, etc. I never heard or FELT any of the LFE information with their system, but the SVS played it loud, deep and clear.

I understand what you're saying about blending as well. There's definitely more low end punch when you're listening to music but where the SVS really shines is on DVDs.