Industrial -vs- Home

PhilMays

I know Colter or Indy will chime in with a better answer for you.

The industrial has a different finish and sometimes the bass bin is sepperate from the horn section. It also uses different drivers and is rated at 200 watts.

Indy has his Theatre set up with all industrials seperates and Colter has several of both styles.

Good luck on getting a pair. I would love to get at least three more LS's

Steve

Phil,

You should get someone like Colter directly or others that have them but I believe the Industrials are USUALLY different in finish (but I have seen Klipsch stained Birch ply and they were beautiful) the drivers MAY be different so that they can take the etra load of professional use (and may or may not go to the same depths as the home version) and SHOULD have protection circuit so that they don't blow those protected drivers...the big brains will chime in here but this will get you started and back to the top...

Bill

Industrial LS have a 200 watt K43 woofer which is reputed to not dig quite as deep as the K33, but I don't think it's that different. The cabinet really goes down only so low anyway.

There are a variety of finishes available, the most highly sought is the fibreglass mat/aluminum trim version. There are also pebble paint/trim, pebble paint/plastic corners, and just rounded corners painted.

The Industrial has a very cool feature in that it was available in a split cabinet with the bass horn being 2x2x2 cube and the mid/hi a trapezoid with the crossover. This allowed double stacking and separate splaying of the horns- a very cool feature when they are used in the home setting. This also makes them simple to bi-amp, simply plug the bass amp directly in to the bass bin, bypassing the passive network.

I think the LSI uses the same crossovers as the LS, I know the HIP has a different xover than the H, but I'm not aware of any specific crossovers made specifically for LSI

Here's some of my collection.

post-10755-13819311632528_thumb.jpg

Phil, Steve sent me the link to the ones your'e looking at- the stained ones on wheels, yes?

Those are pretty unique. I've only seen one other pair of LSI-BR, that would have been shipped from the factory in Birch, Raw for the user to finish. The other pair has been finished in clear lacquer and were beautiful.

These dark walnut stained ones aren't quite as lovely, maybe some BLO or poly on top would pretty them up for the home. I'd definitely take the wheels off. Look to be in good condition. Fair price, go get em.

M

What is the difference between industrial and home La Scalla's?

Thanks

Phil

Technically, until the La Scala III, there were no "Home" La Scalas.

There are birch La Scalas finished in black and unfinished (most

common), intended for club or theater use. There are optional

upper grilles for them, that make them prettier.

There were (are?) La Scalas for road use called "Industrial" that

had a heavy duty wooffer, the K-43, that has a 200 watt, or so, power

rating. The LSIs were black and had available edge and corner

protection, braces for "flying" and even a fiberglass coating for more

durability. For their years, the crossovers and other drivers

were identical to the theater La Scalas.

The unfinished La Scalas can be made quite attractive.

post-2142-13819311638648_thumb.jpg

gosh dang Mike - I'm just now realizing how insane that wall 'o klipsch really is! [:D]

We need to sit down sometime and have you write an article on all the

variations of la scala and cornwall and heresy, etc etc... and borrow

some of your pics. Then we can host it at the klipsch corner and link

to it everytime these questions come up.

gosh dang Mike - I'm just now realizing how insane that wall 'o klipsch really is! [:D]

We need to sit down sometime and have you write an article on all the

variations of la scala and cornwall and heresy, etc etc... and borrow

some of your pics. Then we can host it at the klipsch corner and link

to it everytime these questions come up.

yuppo, and to think that you were a part of it all- heck you personally brought probably 4 pairs of those Heritage here from Chicago! And helped me sort and move them all for that photo. Of course now there are Khorns and the HIP to add to the stack, and those H's I butchered up still aren't finished.

M