HD DVD Player's "audio"

rockbobmel

Are you talking about stereo sound or the multichannel audio on the movie tracks? Uncompressed PCM or the new high-bitrate Dolby and DTS tracks (featured on HD-DVD and BluRay movie discs that are coming out) will no doubt sound very very good.

I also read that the DACs on the new Panasonic BluRay player ($999 on Amazon.com) were amazing as well.

The DACs are currently Burr-Brown PCM 1755s and have a S/N ratio of -104 db. They are mid-level DACs. HD DVDs have Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Tru HD lossless sound. The sound is VERY good.

The XA1 is a better transport than the A1 due to a better chasis and isloation from vibration. XA1s are available on sale. Firmware update to 2.0 is needed on both original models to get lossless sound in 5.1 over the analog outputs.

The new models, the A2 and XA2, will be out soon, The A2 will NOT have analog outputs; only the XA2 will have analog outputs on the new models.

The Toshibas are SLOW to boot and load disks. HD DVDs do NOT have the resume function; only SD DVDs have resume. The remote is terrible. The picture is the best money can buy on good transfers.

Bill

I have a Toshiba HD DVD player and the audio section is good,not as good as my Pioneer DVAX10 for audio only reproducion.Well the DVAX10 was a $5999 player you know so it better be damn good.

Still for the money I am very happy with the Toshiba as aall around player.

The A2 will NOT have analog outputs; only the XA2 will have analog outputs on the new models.

Stupid question here, but if the A2 doesn't have analog outputs, how can you enjoy the new formats? I thought they were decoded in the player and output via the 6/8-channel analog outputs?

The A2 will NOT have analog outputs; only the XA2 will have analog outputs on the new models.

Stupid question here, but if the A2 doesn't have analog outputs, how can you enjoy the new formats? I thought they were decoded in the player and output via the 6/8-channel analog outputs?

That's what I am getting at. My Rotel DSP has analog inputs and no HDMI, so i can only get decompresses signals that way. Also, is it not true that only L&R front are the only losless channels?

That really sucks! I was thinking about getting the A2 for the $500 price tag. Now everyone will have to go out and get new recievers with the HDMI inputs. We can't win!

The only way around this is to slave the HDMI right to your TV and cable the analog audio to the receiver. Believe me. I was pissed when I just got my Rotel 1098 and learned that. I am OK as long as I can get 2 or 3 channel uncompressed. Now what about audio sync................??????????? Check out hi-def forums.

http://www.highdefforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5