Cornwall's arrive safely

tuned4life

Got Home with the Cornwalls at 11pm last night. 570 mile round trip took 11 hours. Have to say I am a little disappointed. Seller assured me repeatedly that there wasnt a blemish of any kind. turns out there were a few light scratches on the top of 1 of them. Only noticable up close under light. They definately rate beautiful 9.9 but not perfect.

They are definately transition speakers. They have back mounted plastic composite mid horns. Removed the back panel and the mid drivers are definately bolted to horns. K 33E woofers, k 77 tweeters, B3 networks. The cabinet is made of MDF board not plywood.

I guess you would have to call them Cornwall 1's. Back mounted speakers, removable back panel, Cornwall 1 speaker connector terminals near top right above labels.

I have to say they sound very good. Not sure if I will put metal 600 mid horns in them or not.

I probably paid to much. 750.00 for the speakers, 45.00 in gas, 20.00 for styroboad to transport them safely.

Very enjoyable drive, no rain. Beautiful color still on most of the trees around Pittsburgh. I just love all the Oak trees. Cant say I am that crazy about all the hills. almost as hilly as west Virgina.

Temp dropped down to below freezing shortly after dark and I think it brought the deer rut into full swing. I saw 7 bucks run across Rt 79 at full speed with nose to the ground. Saw just as many on Rt 90 and to many to count in my neighbor hood.

post-18012-13819314082112_thumb.jpg

Based on what you are telling us (and the pic), you DEFINITELY got your money's worth. On cabs that size (which are 20 years old), a "9.9" condition should be more than acceptable. I don't care how "perfect" a 20 year old pair of speakers are claimed to be, there is bound to be a mark or blemish on them somewhere. It's the old adage in the audio hobby: "Mint" really means "fair to good condition", especially on vintage items. Sounds to me like you did well here.

Doug likes 10's. I think you've sold more near perfect Klipsch than anyone on here. What you have there I call 1.5's because they have some I and some II components, although yours are early in the transition. What does the the tag read?

I'm sure many here would be interested on your take on the K600/K55 vs K601/K52 setup. Your's is the only set I know with only that difference, unless there is also a xover difference of some sort.

So, do you think these are keepers? $750 for 9.9 isn't bad my friend, and glad you had a good trip and stayed clear of the deer.

Now get out there and cut some firewood, will ya?

Michael

you think you paid to much, gimme a break. i would give 750 for corns in mint condition with veneer all day long. my cornwall break down

#1 - 78 rosewood cornwalls 1500 and 10 hour round trip

#2 - 71 verticals in teak 1500 and 250 to ship

#3 - 72 verticals in mahogany 900 and 4 hour round trip

#4 - 74 verticals in walnut 700 and 300 to ship

#5 - 79 ramblin rose 5 hour round trip. price not included.

#6 - all priceless

definately keepers. back label just says CWO, conesecutively numbered 8525525 and 8525526. I have been listening to them, then the 1981 CWO, then the 1984 CWO and I have to say I am not sure I hear any differance. Metal mid horns may be a tad brighter. The composite 601 horns sound amazing for being made of plastic. It bothers me some if the 601 horn/drivers voice coils are infact 1.5 compared to 600 horns with K 55 drivers with 2" voice coils.. Seems you would get more bang for the buck with 2 inch voice coils. These are the only MDF board cabinets I have. I wont really beable to give them a good listen until sometime when the wife is out.

in the basement you saw the k-horns, scalas, heresys and the 74 verticals in walnut that the folk lure were onced owned by meatloaf.

Oh, #6 was just a statement then.

I don't know if I mentioned it at the time, but that's every Heritage but Belles in ONE ROOM! You are my hero man! And you'll be the kids' hero when you start clearing out your collection.

Did you ever discover the source of 'the scratch'?

M

Russ, You probaby have some of the most beautiful klipsch in existance and worth every peny you've invested. I keep hearing about all these corns going for 500.00 or less, Ive never been so lucky.

The pair that I drove to Finley Ohio for (the 1984 corns) said to have been owned by Chet atkins but not authenticated with documents. they were listed on audiogon. Over the phone the seller said he was firm at 900.00. after I saw them up close, I probably would have paid 1200.00 if I had to.

A close friend of mine in N. Carolina just picked up a pair of beautiful 1983 K horns Tennessee. He is an audiophile, into tubes, He tells me the K horns are the best speaker he has ever heard and that I need to get a pair. He tells me not to worry about not having perfect corners for them.

Not many K horns around these parts. I am definately keeping my eyes open though.

recently sold my 77 belles for 2500 so i had all of the big 5 in the house at one time. i have a new line on some belles at this time and i will take a picture of one of each all in one picture like the old brochures.

michael, my kids would never admit to the scratch - nick - dent that i found when you were there. found a new way to store them. up side down.

hey tuned, i was spoiled back in 89 when i got my first klipsch speakers. 84 k-horns in cherry oil. paid around 2 grand.

Yeah, I have about $500 per pair in all of mine, but they are either poorly finished CBR's or badly scratched CWO's.

But when I get that workshop going and get to veneering- watch out!

Of course that still won't beat the historic beauty of some old 70's vintage that have been lovingly oiled and cared for. Something about the patina the wood gets with age.

Right now my $1200 KBWO's are the prizes of my collection.

M