Need TV suggestions

T2K

My 12 plus year old Sony XBR rear projection TV is sick. Rather than take it to the TV hospital I'm just going to shoot it. So I'll need a new one. I haven't had the time to keep up with the latest in TV's so I'm hoping for some good user advice from you all.

I have analog cable now and have been waiting for the new TV purchase to, more than likely, get a Dish sat setup. Since I'm partial to Sony TV's I'm thinking about the Sony LCoS LCD rear projection KDS-55A2000 (55"). There's not much on TV that I care to watch so I primarily use my HT TV for DVD viewing.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this particular TV and also any other brands others have used that you are/were happy with.

And how about stands? Whats the deal with the glass stuff thats so prevalent out there nowadays? I've got the usual coupla amplifiers/receiver/players that are probably too heavy for the glass stands. I now use a vertical AV stand that I'd like to eliminate and place the components below the new TV. Any alternative suggestions?

And in the meantime until I get a satellite setup how is this set going to look with my analog cable? And my old DVD's?

I appreciate any and all comments.

Keith

My 35" inch Mitsu died earlier this year..........I got a Sammy 5688 DLP. Pretty happy with it. Yes some silk screen effect, but other than that. A new bulb every 5 or 6000 hours and pic is back to new..........other technologies have their probs. Watch out for green glob effect on Sonys. Doesn't happen till about 6 months.

Couldn't get HDTV Sat cus of trees. I had SD Satellite but it sucked. Got cable till something better comes along.

Still searching/looking for DVD player. Considering 2nd Gen Tosh HD-DVD. But if reviews aren't stellar, I may just got with good 300 to 400 dollar progressive scan DVD player. Tried OPPO but couldn't get Dolby Dig to work with my B+K ref 30 proc. Long story still looking.

I have an "old" Sony DVP S7700 but doesn't look that great on new TV.

check www.avsforum.com

You'll find TOO much information. It will wear you out............feel free to email me at zork52@verizon.net for more info..............

i agree if you really want TV info check out avsforum. since you are partial to Sony i would look at KDS-R60XBR2. its their newest SXRD rear projection LCOS. 1080p, 3 hdmi ports, a brighter bulb, new light engine and DRC version. supposedly solved the green blob issue that has plagued previous SXRD's. i hear it does an excellent job of up converting standard def. signal. and from what I've read is an excellent set. it is so new though good luck actually finding one at a store. most of the people that have them preordered sight unseen. lots of web sights have them sears, tweeter, circuit city and the like , but I have yet to see one on display.

it is probably what I'll be getting after i see one.