Any recomendations in Klipsch speakers to be fed by Tenor 15W monoblocks?

TheEAR

First thank you for all the info Klipschers.

Today I spoke with Stephane V. who worked for Tenor and now repairs Tenor amps at Coup de Foudre here in Montreal. I can clearly see he is the man when it comes to in depth knowledge and a major resource person.

Good to know I have THE Tenor experts close by.

Mark,

Thanks for asking,as you know these amps will be ONLY used with acoustic music,anything jazz,classical and mostly acoustic guitar. I did not spend this important amount to blast,I have solid state that bests tubes just for less civil uses(Krell,SimAudio among others).

I have very high quality Dynaudio Contour series speakers,these are an instant no no as they run around 4Ohms! Not good.

I need as close as is possible to a stable 8Ohms load.Linear across the bandwith,if possible.

Since we all know with efficient speakers only the first few watts will ever be used under normal listening,headroom is not a problem.These 15W monoblocks can deliver 60W with no problems. With even 95dB/1W 1M I would be set.

Keep in mind the speakers will be no more than two meters away from my ears.So near nearfield conditions.And I listen at low to mid volume(maxes at 90-95dB).I value my hearing too much and besides you do not enjoy music past a level where irritation due to higher SPL sets in.

I think Mike has a friend who lives maybe an hour away with some McIntosh/Khorns so he could hear them in same trip (there I go again, inviting others to others houses [A] )

Arthur,

I've got Khorns (with Tye As - soon to be recapped with v-caps) and Cornwalls (with stock networks). As for amplification, I have JFL's 8WPC SETH 2A3 amps, stock MC30s and soon to arrive Marantz 8B. I can probably finish the networks, arrange my listening room and invite you over some time around Christmas. BTW, we live probably 15 minutes away (I am in Pointe-Claire).

Kudret

This sounds like an idea,a great idea yes. It will be a pleasure

Pointe-Claire,as a hind I live in a dangerous place called Saint-Henri,well the better part of it.Bordering Westmount [:)] Purchased gear from Opus Audio on Decarie back in the day,now I deal with Radio Saint-Hubert near my workplace and now will start buying from Coup De Foudre.

First one of the Tenor Audio experts has to inspect and fully cerify my amps are 100% before I even connect live speakers.They will be on 8Ohms resistors before and you know the complete burn in. I tell you these gems demand the full royal treatment.

So yes if you want I would be glad to listen to your system and be happy to let you listen to my systems.I have four(not counting the tube system I am building based on the Tenor).

not to flog a dying horse ? but

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/11/810222/ShowThread.aspx

comment 816658 is Roy (of Klipsch) commenting back to DeanG's comment (who was responding to mine)

So, my comments are in blue, Dean's in black and Roy's in red. The point of my showing this is to reiterate the Jubilee was GOING to be the "new & improved" Klipschorn but it blew the Khorn out of the water by such a wide margin, PWK decided it needed to be it's own catagory.

(ME)

I understood the story to be the Jubilee was supposed to be the next generation Klipschorn BUT, when they finished it, PWK felt it was significantly superior to the Khorn as to not be an improvement but a quantum leap forward. Because of that, he then decided it needed its own designation other than Khorn.

(DeanG)

That doesn't make much sense.

There is no other big speaker on the planet that can do what a Klipschorn can -- almost disappear into a room when tucked away into a corner. Nicely finished and with a reasonably sized top section -- the Jubilee isn't so easy to tuck away. In spite of her shortcomings, the Klipschorn design is pure genius. You wouldn't do away with the Klipschorn after inventing a Jubilee anymore than you would do away with the LaScala because you make a Klipschorn. It makes sense that you start out trying to replace a Klipschorn, and when you get done you realize that even though you pulled it off -- the thing you tried to replace still stands on her own pretty darn good, and manages to do some things sonically as well as from a marketing perspective that "the replacement" can't do. And then of course, how would you go about "putting her down"?

(Roy)

sorry deang, sense or not, that's pretty much the way it went down.......

so my point is... if you're buying new, if you want the TRUE pinnacle design, the Jubilee is in fact it. Furthermore, the Jubilee can be done with a passive x-over AND since it is the funky cinema finish, can be had for LESS than the MSRP of the Khorn. So, if your dealer knocks off say 10% then (as a guess) they're going to be closely priced. For ME, I'd rather have the newer design for similar dollars, rather than better asthetics. (although I again point out that I like the look)

I can only presume you've seen the Jubilee pictures everyone has posted?

Either way... I guess you really can't go wrong with a Khorn either [6], but the Jubilee does "one up" it.

[:D]

Again I'd repeat, no matter what you do, I HIGHLY respect that you're looking into a NEW purchase instead of used.

Keep in mind the speakers will be no more than two meters away from my ears.So near nearfield conditions.And I listen at low to mid volume(maxes at 90-95dB).

When I had my khorns, they had stock drivers BUT had Al K's "extreme slope" networks in them. I had fed them anything between 4 watts SE-OTL power, up to 400 or so, solid state.

usual disclaimer.."in my room, with my gear, with my ears, blah blah"

What I found was quite interesting. (and I'm not aware if you've seen the pictures of the Khorns, or the Jubilees in my room on the forum)

My room is 3 sided with the open side, opening up to the dining room and the front foryer. I was turning the corner on the stairs one day and just stopped in amazement.

I was maybe 25/30 feet away from the left speaker. It was DIRECTLY facing me, the right speaker was totally blocked by the wall (of the right side of room).

The sound was utterly fantastic. The sound was MUCH BETTER for me & my ears at that distance, than it was at 10/12 feet I otherwise was, when I was in the room with them.

I was intrigued by this. This was real and not some fabrication of my mind.

To cut a lot of blatherings down, what I came to understand was a 3 way speaker takes some time & distance for the 'wall of sound' to come together as a coherent source. When Mike & I drove to Hope, he was explaining to me, the benefits of a well designed 2 way over a 3 way speaker. I had always thought 3 way was better by definition.

I then started having my light bulb go off in my head as I finally understood some of the subtle differences in sound as I was further away from the speaker and how much better blended it sounded, than closer in.

Enter the Jubilees in the same room, same corner.

today, I can stand at the stairs, reproducing the "left speaker only, right speaker blocked by the wall" scenario and indeed, the speaker sounds fantastic.

What I find really interesting is, I can then start to walk towards the speaker and the sound STAYS the same. That subtle difference isn't there.

I'm finally "getting it" as to, the 2 way comes together faster (closer) than a 3 way. Point being, if I had the Khorns back, I now KNOW that for (me) to get the absolute best sound out of them, I'd have to sit further back from them, than I do the Jubilees, which is contrary to your evident designs.

Not saying it'll be that way for you or anyone else (more standard disclaimer)

In MY house, MY room, MY electronics & MY ear, if I were to have the near, nearfield criteria that you expressed, then the Jubilee would CLEARLY be the better choice as it comes together faster/closer in than the Khorns did.

I stumbled onto this and it took me a while to comprehend what was going on. I still don't know all the ins/outs of what and why. Perhaps others can chime in on this logic.

I know you're not a 3 hour drive from me [;)] but the offer is there, if you care to put some research into this, you are MORE than welcome to come here and spin their wheels so you can make as educated decision you can.

Here's a thread showing Mikes & my Jubilees being built, delivered and setup. Delivery starts on about page 11

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/11/767768/ShowThread.aspx

I also had a pic in there of my Khorns for a prior look. The picture of the Khorns is ALMOST standing at the spot I mentioned above near the stairs. I'd have to have scooted back another 5 feet or so to be there. By doing that, the right side wall, totally obscures the right Khorn.

They really aren't THAT much bigger than the Khorns (depth/width). They are taller by I'd guess, 12-15 inches. What makes them so "OMG" in my opinion is simply that huge horn on top. It seems to have a tendency to draw everyones eyes to it.

guess I'll stop beating the horse about now.

[:D]

Coytee,

Thank you for all the info. Considering the room and what I have learned about Zu speakers (the Druid)I am going with Zu's Druid speakers.

These present a load from 8-12Ohms,almost ideal for my amps.They are a purist design,the full range is aided by a tweeter.Very efficient,solid to around 40Hz.Compact and these got a rave review from Six Moons and those who tried them have only praise.

For now the little Druids will do.Next up I may go with Zu largest floorstander.