power filtering/conditioning for dummies

Heideana

Are UPS viable options to consider for power filtering/conditioning? I'm not sure about spending thousands for a device that regenerates ac power, but it would seem using an uninterruptable power supply would be a step up from a power strip...does anyone know if this is true?

Yet another "hifi for dummies" question...thanks!

Are UPS viable options to consider for power filtering/conditioning?  I'm not sure about spending thousands for a device that regenerates ac power, but it would seem using an uninterruptable power supply would be a step up from a power strip...does anyone know if this is true?

Yet another "hifi for dummies" question...thanks!

I use computer battery backup power supplies to keep my equipment safe not sure about sound quality. I just use it to keep power spikes and surges under control.

I use a belkin PF-40 that does pretty good. Look on ebay or also at Provantage. These used to be rather expensive....I paid $450 or so for mine and now you can get a new one for under $200.

As for the benefit, it helped with some of the HUMMMMMMM I used to get. Not sure if it cleaned up the picture like they say though.

My take on filtering and conditioning is that low end UPS's do not put out true sine waves, and as such, limit the amps performance.

The higher end AC regenerators attempt to do a better job at re-producing a true sine wave.

It really depends how bad your power is, before applying a solution to it.

Low voltage issues need a regulator, the computer controlled variable transformer works best.

Power noise needs a filter solution, these begin to hurt amp performance.

Studios use balanced power transformers. These do not limit performance. They actually are wired to cancel out line noise, and as a result, reduce the noise floor by 10 to 18db, creating the perception of greater dynamic range.

In all fairness, you should first explain what the specific problem or concern is. The phrases, "filtering" and "conditioning", etc are frequently used a bit loosely. The reason I bring this up is because there are many manufacturers out there peddling snake oil (it's as bad as "high end" speaker wires). There are many supposed solutions out there that are quite expensive.

Let me mention three little known facts:

1) the power supply on the electronics especially the amp can take care of many problems with "dirty" power. This, in part, is why they use huge transformers and capacitors. Other components are less sensitive (typically).

2) If the problem is hum or hiss, that typically is not caused by the power coming out of the wall. Simple (and inexpensive) cabling, grounding & placement techniques will usually solve the problem (unless its in the electornics themselves, then that is the problem and not the AC power from the wall).

3) The electrical techniques used in a studio can be very heroic ( and expensive). These are typically not needed in the living room. Why, because the noise floor in the living room is actually fairly high and you would not be able to hear the differences. Also in the studio they have to worry about some problems you will not run in to (such as high impedance cables running long lengths, many components, etc.).

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but rest assured you will get a number of suggestions about very expensive pieces of equipment that are possibly not relevant to your concerns. However, also rest assured that everyone will claim the the sound has now a) "opened up" , B) "removed the veil", c) increased "the sound stage" d) has become more "revealing". All this attests to the power of advertising by some money-hungry "audiophile" manufacturers that exploit the placebo effect. Save your money for some well-recorded CDs, it is a bigger bang for the buck. I will stop being brutally honest & get off my soap box now ....

If you are concerned about protection during a thunderstorm, then the solutions are reasonably priced.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I have tried the cheap priced power strips with spike protection...Panamax MAX5100 and Mon$ter HTS 3500 MkII...Mon$ter looks the coolest with the "power meters" but I honestly have noticed no change from straight from the wall socket to any of these...I bought them to safeguard (read: make ME feel safer...piece of mind) my gear...anything else positive it may do is gravy...YMMV

Bill

Here's some piece of mind. A 62lb, 5000 watt, balanced isloated transfomer. It splits the power from 110-0-0 to 60-0-60, the result is a cancellation effect of line noise as well as a stop gate for surges, reduced noise floor, and a perception of greater dynamic range. Paid 92 bucks for it on ebay. It's pulling duty in my sub panel that services my home office and HT room.

post-22082-13819314322042_thumb.jpg

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I could NOT believe the slight but noticeable improvements with a power conditioner on my flea-powered tube amps a few years ago, but I no longer use it with my passively bi-amped system now. The room and the s-s power amp on the bass bins do NOT seem make this Unit as wonderful as it once was.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0904/quantumrt800.htm

Hey all and thanks for your responses...as usual, I don't quite know how to articulate my question. I've got a squeezebox and read that the first upgrade was to replace its' puny power supply with a regulated one...I've also been getting a bit of heat to put UPS units on my equipment just to safe guard it and across way to much information for my non-electronic oriented brain.

From what I'm hearing, UPS don't clean-up power and I need to get into balanced transformers if I want to "clean-up" my power. I don't think San Francisco power is dirty, but it does sag time to time...I also have to use "hum-x" on most of my guitar equipment to cut down on hum...

Looks like I have some reading to do on "balanced transformers"...thanks again...Hop