Dynaco 70 stereo amp

tom b. 57

Is $675.00 a fair price for a Dynaco 70 stereo amp? I know very little of tube amps. The seller says it is in mint condition. I am eager for tube equip., but I don't want to make a rash decision to buy and regret it later. I respect you tube enthusiasts opinions. What do you guys think? The seller also said it tests out better than original specs.

Tom

It depends on the state of the amp and the amount of restoration work already put into it. If no work was put into it...expect to put some cash into it for capacitors...and depending on the age of the tubes...some tubes.

Just as a bench mark, there's a fellow on ebay offering an st-70 kit for 675 (may be 625), pros of this is that everything is new, con's you would have to be comfortable with assembling the kit.

As another bench mark, after doing some searching, I bought a pair of mono block 50w per channel amps on ebay for 500 bucks. The mono-blocks just needed dusting off, no issues, hum, static, etc.

On this forum, st-70's recently serviced show up frequently in the 500 - 600 price range.

Tom,

If it's on Ebay or Audiogon, or where you could post a link, that's helpful. There are folks here who can get a better sense of a piece of gear looking at the photos.

The seller describing it as "mint" is good. One question would be how much if any part of it has been rebuilt. I would likely need some work if it hasn't been rebuilt. $675 would be a good price for a really nice ST70 that had been competently rebuilt. If it is still all original, I'd say it's on the pricey side. Sending it off to be rebuilt would add another two or three hundred dollars to the cost.

For that price, there are some nice current manufacture tube options, like the Cayin, which probably sound better and you don't have to worry about vintage concerns.

What kind of preamp would you plan to use with the ST70?

Here is the ad. I have a Phase Linear 3000 Series II pre amp that I would use temporarily, until I locate a tube preamp that would be compatable.

I have just finished up a Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amplifier, all tubes are matched and either new or NOS new. The power supply bias has been updated for improved performance and reliability by pass caps installed; unit is testing better then original specifications. The cosmetic condition is just about perfect. Chrome bright, it even has the mint cage assy. This is a rare unit in this condition. As you can see in the photos I have lots of vintage gear and I do know what Im doing when it comes to professional restoration. 40 years of HI-FI experience. I have lots of other gear for sale and upgrade, just ask. Im firm on the price (read no haggling). I may consider trades for other tube gear. McIntosh or Marantz, Fisher, Eico or Scott. If not sold in ten days locally it goes to Ebay

Tom

Tom,

In the world of tube separates, IMO, the preamp is the one that really carries the freight. It would take a tube preamp for the ST 70 to shine. OTOH a nice tube preamp, like a Juicy Music Merlin, which is not much more than you are thinking of spending for the ST70, would probably sound fabulous with one of your SS power amps. Just my $.02.

Also, for a first plunge into tubes, a tube integrated can be a nice option.

The preamp purchase may be the smartest move. I was thiking of the Blueberry, but that is a pretty big investment. I would like to incorporate my turntable into my system at a later date and would like a good phono stage. Do you have any suggestions on a more moderate priced preamp that would still be an impressive addition? (impressive to the ears).

Tom

Prices on ST70's on Ebay are down right now. I'd wait the guy out, let him put it on Ebay, he won't get $650. I don't doubt the value he has in it, however if you watch Ebay, there aren't many selling in that price range right now.

I had an extra ST70 rebuilt by NOSValves that recently went for only $430 on Ebay. For that price I wished I had offered it up here first. Total bargain. Mine was very similar to Josh's. Cosmetically not as nice, but it wasn't bad either. From a performance standpoint, at the $700 Josh is asking, you would be hard pressed to find a better tube amp in that price range.

post-15692-13819314388056_thumb.jpg

Although higher in price than the couple mentioned above, a good deal of work goes into the example shown: stock circuit with new passive components, powdered coated chassis, front panel/meter, etc. Modifications can be great if they appeal to the owner/user's tastes and preferences; some still prefer the stock ST-70 circuit -- if not as the end result, at least as a starting point from which to work, and slowly modify or 'season-to-taste' to one's liking.

Rubuilt by someone with outstanding feedback and MANY years of experience: As someone who usually prefers to do my own work, this is one builder from whom I would comfortably buy. The seller of the parts kit mentioned above also does some of the very best wiring I have seen in his fully-built versions of the amp. I'm including this link to increase the number of available options.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1166625160

I would agree that that price is a little high. A completely stock Dyna 70 should be considered a starting point because there is a lot that may have worn out over the years. The tube sockets themselves can get loose and are hard to repair. You are also paying for the Dynaco mystique and as indicated there are quite a few modern tube amps that sound at least as good and maybe better and will not be a maintenance problem. One of the best Dyna rebuilders is Audio by Van Alstine http://www.avahifi.com/

His rebuilds sound very nice and retain the Dyna look, if you like it, I do.