DLP TV Lamp replacement

J.4knee

Have any of you replaced just the lamp without replacing the entire assembly in your DLP TV's. I have a Mitsubishi WD 52525 DLP HD TV and the lamp has finally given up the fight. (Used very heavily) I am tinkering with just replacing the lamp vice the entire housing assembly as well. I know need to extract the assembly first to determine if this is a good viable option first though. Any thoughts?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Why would you want to replace the whole assembly? Change the bulb and maybe clean the mirrors should be all you need to do.

Mitsubishi sells it as a "lamp cartridge". I just slides in right next to right speaker and is screwed in place.

A bulb costs $200. The lamp cartridge costs $385. What is the advantage? I'm asking all these questions because I have the 62" version of your TV (WD-62725)...original bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just replaced the lamp and the POS still says it is

bad. Now it lights the "service required" red led in the

lamp status. If it is goinng to be this much of a pain everytime

the lamp needs replaced this will be my last projection set.

Mitsubishi customer service pretty much s*cks too. So I'd say it

is safe to say this is my last Mitsubishi product for sure.

This should have been a 5 minute job.

Having had flashlights using similar bulbs and experience changing out both the bulb and the whole assembly, I initially considered replacing just the lamp, on my Sony RPTV when it went. Luckily for me, I decided on the whole cartridge since you get a new reflector and fresh wiring. BTW, I had the same type of warnings from the tv before the old light went after heavy use, but now it's like a new tv.

Sorry to hear you've had troubles, maybe something in the cartridge assembly went, sounds like time to replace the whole cartridge rather than just the bulb.

Best of luck

I know nothing about this, but on the assembly is there a PCB or anything like that. Maybe the bulb and the PCB need to be replaced as a set making the assembly required. Maybe it is calibrated for that particular bulb light intensity. Just a thought.

OK allow me to provide a little clarification. When you purchase a lamp from Mitsubishi for my set, you actually get the cartridge, it is a "replacement cartridge" and it is slightly different than the original. They do not sell the original lamp anymore. They cost $230 + shipping. The one I got "is a tight fit" as per the Mitsubishi rep. I followed the directions and it fits. The problem is it does not work! The set powers on, you hear sound with no picture for about 5 minutes and then it turns off and a lamp failure llight illuminates.