DLP TV Lamp replacement

J.4knee

Did some searching and found others with your problem:

"This little thingie I was to learn caused me a major headache when it came to changing the projector bulb in my WD 62525.

I was a tad over 4000 hours on my bulb so I went ahead and ordered a

replacement for it. No problem, I received it in 2 days. Followed the

instructions, powered it off, unplugged it and allowed it to cool 1

hour (well more like 30 minutes). I removed the old bulb and inserted

the new one until I felt it "click" into place. Tightened thumbscrews,

replaced cover and screwed it down and taadaaa! Nothing.........

Finally went to a red light on the front panel. Panic. Took it all

apart...pulled it out....looked at bulb....reseated it ....Put it all

back together. Taaadaaa! Nothing. Fine sweat on upper lip now. Pulled

it out...reseated original bulb. Put it all back together.....Taaadaaa!

Nothing.

I'm really sweating bullets now. I pull the original bulb out and look

inside the socket where the electrical connection is made between the

bulb and the television. There is nothing there!!!!!! With my

flashlight I can see that the connector from the TV is hanging loose

and cocked at an angle. The only way to find out what is going on is to

partially disassemble the TV. I take the lower back off including the

fan cover on the lower left side. Under this cover is a metal plate. It

looks like it might be an RF shield. I remove it partially all the way

from the left corner to partially include the connection panel.

After removing this and pulling the RF shield away, I can see this

little piece that have at the top of the page was what held the

electrical connector on the TV side in place so the connector on the

lamp assembly could slide into it. The little tines was all that

gripped the TV side connector and held it and either by design flaw or

excessive heat, it had warped enough to loosed and allow the connector

to fall back inside the TV.

The solution was to install the lamp assembly and screw it down firmly

with the thumbscrews. Then go too the back of the TV and push the TV

side connector trough the hole into the bulb side connector. It wasn't

a pretty sight but it worked!!

Buttoned it all backed up and I'm now back in business although I did end up with a couple of extra screws.

By the way, the new bulb did amazing things for my picture quality.

Whites are white again and the blacks also look blacker. Even my wife

who really doesn't care and thinks I'm a little nutty commented that

the picture looked much better. The original bulb was an OSRAM and the

new bulb was an OSRAM. However, the difference is really like night and

day!

Sorry for the long post."

This is his picture of the little piece that fell out:

___/\___

l l

l l

< >

l l

l l

< >

l l

l l

l__ ____l

\/

May I make a suggestion or two...

While I know little about the particular unit to which you refer, may I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's support line ONLY to get the number of a local service center. You are going to be connected to a call center located who knows where. And as much as you might expect them to be certified engineers intimate with your product, the odds are that they are lucky to simply be able to pull up your model from a remote data base. I fear you are holding the wrong folks accountable as you expect them to even know what the product is to which you are referring! They are clerks, not service technicians!

Instead, contact the local service center directly and speak with a tech.

Also, may I suggest that you wear a pair of nytril gloves when doing any work involving the lamp! ANY oil from handling the lamp will cause premature failure.

Best of luck!

OK it is up and working again, inorder to maintian the warranty I had service tech come out and look at it, it was as indicated earlier the lamp power recepticale in the TV is very flimsy (poor design). One thing I found out is these older light engines develop a "cloudy picture" problem over time. I have a deal worked out to resolve this as well, the newer light engines correct both issues and the new lamps are actualy better lamps than the originals.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Turns out the Mitsubishi DLP TV's have several boards with bad capacitors...large and surface mount.To repair the boards would require swapping out hundreds of capacitors. Mitsubishi sells refurbished boards that so far have temporarily fixed the problems. The worst problem is the blinking green light of death (BGLOD). Looks like eventually all of these boards will fail.

I bought a new TV and gave away a nice Mitsubishi WD-62725. To repair the problem would cost me $1220+ (cost of refurbish chassis, don't believe this covers labor costs). New TV's cost nearly as much as the repair.

• 4 months later...

I have the same TV. I have replaced my lamp 3 time and the balist once since 2005 when I purchased it. It blew again in September of 2008 just before I moved from TX to Calif. Just had a repair man come look at it 7 mos later and guess what? IT WORKED! Repair man suggested to pull the lamp housing out next time, bring it to him and he will replace just the lamp in the same housing box. (no need to pay each time for the box) saves me about $50.00. The whole lamp costs $300.00. $250.00 for just the lamp. It' seasy to install yourself. MY OPINION OF THIS MITSUBISHI WD 52525 IS IT'E A LEMON

MY OPINION OF THIS MITSUBISHI WD 52525 IS IT'E A LEMON

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:@] Mine still works but I doubt I'll go the projection set route ever again. [:@] Warranty service repairs take months to get done. I have had my Mits down for a total of about 7 months since I got it. [:@] [:@] The mirrors need cleaned again but I cannot find the solution the warranty rep used so I am gonna call him out again and take a look at what he uses. My brother has a Sony LCD Proj TV that has been problematic ever since he bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just replaced the lamp and the POS still says it is bad. Now it lights the "service required" red led in the lamp status. If it is goinng to be this much of a pain everytime the lamp needs replaced this will be my last projection set. Mitsubishi customer service pretty much s*cks too. So I'd say it is safe to say this is my last Mitsubishi product for sure. This should have been a 5 minute job.

Maybe you might need to reset the lamp hours via the Mitsubishi's menu, just like you do with a projector(?)