LS with 511B and Altec 902...first impression

Tarheel

I have to agree. No reason to mess up that beautiful 902/511 combo with a tweeter. Try it two way first and see what you think. I specifically chose a 902 over an 802-8G in order to get the extended highs w/o a tweeter in my Model 19's. Even an 802 sounds heavenly. Give your Altec horns a chance. I think you will like them very much.

Chuck,

I like the idea of framing the HF section in a tophat. Why not go with a natural wood finish for the bass bin too? Looking forward to seeing pics!

Joe

Joe...We used 1" MDF and I couldn't find any locally already veneered or I would have gone natural. The speakers now have the third coat of piano black and only the end grain needs another coat. Bluesboy came up with the idea of framing the edges of the bass bin in natural to tie it in with the top but I want to see a mock up of that before deciding.

John and Intotubes...I will pass that along to Bluesboy...my speaker builder. I am all in favor of saving the $300+ for tweeters. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chuck

"I have to agree. No reason to mess up that beautiful 902/511 combo with a tweeter. Try it two way first and see what you think. I specifically chose a 902 over an 802-8G in order to get the extended highs w/o a tweeter in my Model 19's. Even an 802 sounds heavenly. Give your Altec horns a chance. I think you will like them very much."

There appears to be a trend in here lately with 902s being the driver of choice, even for three-way setups running 511s or 811s. While the 902 is an excellent driver, I think that people will be overspending for that particular Altec driver if it is just going to be used in a squawker. There are other sweet-sounding Altec drivers available out there that would do just fine for squawker duty, as Intotubes mentioned. I have run a 802-8G as well as 806As and love the sound of both drivers.

On the other hand, I also agree that it is worthwhile to at least try a 902/511 as a two-way first before thinking about a tweeter. I am still a bit skeptica, however, because every set of Altecs I have ever heard (including 19s) sounded as though they could benefit from a tweeter on the top end, even for just a little "sparkle." I guess that I really need to hear a nice 902/511 two-way setup, with new passive networks (or nice active ones) before it to convince me that a tweeter on top is not really needed (at least for my ears), even with 902 drivers.

I also think that a quality tweeter does not have to necessarily "mess" up a nice two-way Altec sound if done properly. I run Beymas brought in at 10,000 with 806A drivers for the midrange, and the sound is heavenly.

Carl.