Should i be concerned????

darylomer12

I just recently purchased a black RC-7 on Audiogon. The fellow i purchased the center from said he had two in mint condition. Anyway, after talking with him for a few days via email, i decided to go ahead and buy it from him for 350.00 plus shipping. I sent him a payment via Paypal on Tuesday the 7th for 435.00. He asked if i could overnight him a cashiers check and he would send out the speaker when he recieved payment. My wife and i didn't feel comfortable doing that so i told him Paypal would work better for us. He said no problem and gave me his Paypal address. Anyway, i paid him on tuesday. Wednesday, he emailed me and thanked me for the payment and said he hopes i enjoy it and asked for my address and phone number for the shipper. Thursday, i did not hear anything from him. Friday, i started to get a little concerned, so i tried to phone him several times. I just got his voicemail. I left several messages from around 9am to noon. Finally, i called him again at 1:30pm and he answered. He said sorry about not returning my calls, he has been really busy. He also said he was taking the speakers,( he said he sold the other one too) to Fedex and was shipping them both on Saturday and that he would email me the tracking number. Today, i have not heard anything from him. I have emailed him and also tried calling him and can't seem to get a hold of him. It is 6:30pm here, which means that it is 9:30pm his time. What should i do? Your input means alot.....Thanks in advance...... Daryl

It's hard to figure the exact time line here....seems like he's had your payment for less than a week, and all you really want is a shipping status....so just continue asking for a tracking number.

Yes. He has had my payment since Tuesday, 7th. My main concern is before i actually sent him the payment, he was very easy to get a hold of. Since i gave him the payment, which has been four, almost five days now, i have been able to reach him once by phone and once by email. All i really want is proof that he actually sent out the speaker and is not just taking my money and running. A little communication after the payment would be reassuring since i just sent over 400.00 dollars to someone i don't know. Hopefully, i am just being impatient because i am so excited to hear what a difference the Rc-7 will make in our HT. Your right though speakerfritz, i should at least allow him a week to actually box up and ship the speaker. Maybe by Wednesday, if i still haven't heard anything from him, i will start taking action and file a claim through Paypal. Thanks again....

10 days is a little pre-mature to submit a paypal complaint....keep in mind that the paypal payment, depending on the type...actually has to clear. Exception being if you have funds in your actual paypal account. If you link the paypal payment to a bank account or credit card...it may need a few days to clear.

I do have my Paypal account linked to a bank account. The funds were already transferred from his Paypal account to his bank account, according to my Paypal transaction summary page. Anyhow, i guess my question has been answered. I should not be concerned. Thanks again Speakerfritz....

This should be a simple issue.[:)]

First, you should at the absolute minimum demand shipment via a trackable shipper (ie UPS or FedEx or Freight or whatever you prefer - packaged appropriately - think: the old Samsonite with the gorilla commercials...)

So you should simply demand the tracking number. You can then view its complete progress on line. You will at least know that 'something' has been shipped and where it is! If he can't or won't provide it, file a claim.

Secondly, may I offer a bit of warning along with a few suggestions that may prove helpful to others, and one or two chastisements....[;)]

... by cashier's check or Paypal?? Many like the later service thinking that it offers a modicum of protection, unless you are one of the unfortunates who have had the misfortune of having to deal with Paypal's problem resolution service (now there is an oxymoron!). By the way, here is Paypal's number: (402) 935-2050. Ask for a Supervisor and persist! Chargebacks against them do work, but be very careful if you have outstanding business with them (such as a current or future balance due you! they will seize it!) , or if you anticipate using them in the future! (they will seize it!)

Why folks do not familiarize themselves with,and take advantage of, www.escrow.com 's services I will never understand. Their service assures you (both buyer and seller!) that your funds are safe, that the package is shipped via a trackable insured service, that you have an opportunity to inspect and to be assured that the unit is what you ordered and that it is 'as represented' - typically a week (but all aspects are negotiable) - and then funds are released to the seller upon your OK, the conclusion of the negotiated time period, or if the unit does not meet with your approval for whatever reasons you may have negotiated, you simply return the item via trackable shipper and the funds are returned to you. Simple. This protects both the seller and the buyer! NO ONE gets screwed! And this has worked flawlessly for me and others I know EVERY time it has been employed. I may have worries, but not about this!

If you employ UPS or FedEx as a carrier, I would highly suggest you contracting the carrier for a product pickup, as then YOU will have standing in filing a claim if necessary. Otherwise you will soon discover that you have no standing in the event of a claim (as the contract was between the shipper - the other guy - and UPS), and that all settlements made by UPS will be with the shipper - the other guy, despite your having indirectly paid for the 'privelege' and shipping. And there are QUITE a few who are making a living selling items for $20, insuring them for $100 or more and allowing you to receive a damaged shipment only for them to subsequently refund your $20 (minus shipping) and pocketing the $80 balance!

Also, for large delicate items such as large speakers, I suggest ForwardAir for shipping. They offer containerized shipping at reasonable rates, especially if you can book it as a commerical party!

It is fascinating to me why Paypal has not adopted the escrow.com model - at least as an option for higher or more sensitive items for a premium fee. But that also should serve as a message to those astute enough to follow their less than stellar customer service history. ...Sorry for the soapbox, but I have been through it on several occassions with both Paypal and UPS going back over >5 years, and I prefer to avoid them completely if at all possible! And if you do use Paypal, please use a credit card who will stand behind you in a dispute!

But using www.escrow.com has eliminated all such worries as you can also define who is responsible for shipping issues!

As always, folks are by all means free to suffer the trauma and complications of using any other manner they feel best.[;)] But it would really please me if we never see another post of such a nature here!

I wish you the best!

mas has it goin' on...I am in week 12 of waiting to see if the goons at UPS are going to pay me ANYTHING back on the speakers they destroyed...the seller had them packed "professionally" by UPS at a high dollar amount...UPS destroyed them through mishandling and REALLY bad packing...single thin corrugated cardboard box and a sheet of bubblewrap between speaker and single walled box...disaster when they arrived...I had to send them back (on their dime) but I have NO STANDING at all in this...seller has been nice in answering all my email (every two weeks) but we only inch closer...he has my money, UPS got their money for shipping, packing AND insurance above value of the speakers...and they are "trying" to decide how much to give me back...I bought the speakers under "market value" and they STILL won't settle...

Bill

The first time I tried to look for the Klipsch RF7s (3 years ago) i came across an Ebayer who had it at a great price. It was my first transaction and he said to pay by western union, which i did. Then i got a call from western union saying 'hi, we have reports that this person who's recieving your payment is fraudulent, do you still wish to continue?" Well it seems that Western Union saved me from my own stupidity and gullibility. I only lost 100 dollars as a Western Union service charge, and boy that was one charge that was well deserved by them. From then on, I dont even look at auctions unless they have a paypal via credit card auction. You just cant trust people out there. I hope it works out for you, and I'd say just to keep diligent and record everything you say/hear back. If you dont hear from him by the middle of this week, i'd get Ebay/Paypal and your Bank involved.

Thank you everyone. Great advise. Hopefully this will all work out one way or another. I just sold my Rc-35 on Ebay, so i am going to be without a center for a while. I thought i timed it out just right, but i thought wrong. I figured by the time i actually shipped out my Rc-35, my Rc-7 would be here. Oh well, hard lesson learned. Thanks again guys.....

Well, i got my money back. The seller said the speaker is no longer for sale and refunded the full amount. To tell you the truth, i feel lucky just to have my money back. The search continues for a black RC-7. The real bummer is my wife shipped out our RC-35 today, so we will be withuot a center for a while.[:(] If anyone has one for sale in good shape, i am definately interested. Again, thanks for everyone's input.... Daryl

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the RC-7 but I'm VERY happy to hear that you got your money back. I was burned twice on eBay for higher priced items and I'm very leary of buying anything at high prices on there anymore. I was able to find an Academy center channel on here within the first day I became a forum member. I ended up buying it and the transaction was fantastic. Awesome communication, the speaker shipped before I even sent payment, and I still keep in contact with him regarding my new HT goodies. It was just nice to be able to trust someone on the forum. I'd keep looking on here for your center channel. Good luck and hopefully you'll find one and have the same great experience as I had!

Shawn