Options for Dtel

arfandbark

I can't help but suggest you toss a Sansui 8080 or 8080db into your after Christmas options.

I have the Harman Kardon 930(2) the730 and a 3480.

I think the Sansui beats them all. If you can find a clean one, please keep it in mind.

Ain't no MacIntosh, but it doesn't cost a thousand dollars, either.

Just my opinion. I have the H/K's mentioned above.

What do I use? The Sansui 8080db...

• Moderators

Arfandbark you are good, you were reading my mind ! Daddy Dee had a good question how would Sansui sound compared to the HK.

The part that makes me sick is about 5 years ago I gave a bunch of audio stuff away to someone who was to marry my wife's cousin. I gave him a Sansui 8080, with one or two lights out on the dial, Akai reel to reel 10" perfect condition, two record players Yamaha and ?. All my records and 4 reel's of recorded albums plus a bunch of smaller reels of pre recorded music I had bought. I should have kept the Sansui and the Akai they were very nice, they sounded great and plenty of power for Klipsch, but no stupid me gave them away ,he was going to send me a good CD player , they broke up and so did my CD player deal.

I may end up with tubes, but for now , to many projects going on to spend the money to get some nice tubes being I would like around 25, 30 wpc.

So I may try an older SS to start, they are much cheaper for now but It would have to sound better than this Yamaha rx v 730 I am using for HT. For now I have the Clll's on the b side of the 730 for 2 CH . The Yamaha sounds OK but it was made for HT, I know it could sound much better for 2 CH.

I had looked at that Mcintosh mc 2505 that was on audiogoN for for $525 , not that I could get it right now, but when I looked at the pre amp that would go with it,it was way more than the amp.

To may choices and not enough $.

To answer some questions....

Stormin... The 2325 is in the shop being looked over as we speak. I've heard the pre amp section is very very good.

Daddy Dee...... I'm not gonna say the 8080db is "better" than the H/K 930.

Same tuner section as the 9090db which sells for much more than the 8080db.

And the tuner pulls well and HOLDS it's signal. I never have to center my tuning needle with this unit. Day after day. For months.

I have a Sansui G-7700 also which is rated @ 120 per side but has NONE of the clarity the 8080 has. Not to mention it runs out of gas before the 8080.

Keep in mind that is not a G-8000. Differant critter.

The venerable H/K 930 is indeed a quality receiver.

I do find that that the 930 runs out of clean power before the 8080db.

I like them both. When the H/K is at it's limit the 8080 has a little more to give.

The quality of sound is very good from both units is equal (in my opinion) until I look for those few extra watts.

THAT'S why I'm using the 8080db.

Keep in mind I monoblock Crown PS400's to my Cornwalls occasionally.

I may be deaf as a stump.