LP RACK RECORD STORAGE SHELF

Clarence

I know I saw a thread on this awhile ago, but I cant seem to locate it. This one will be easy to find in the future for all.

I have seen large racks, (colter) milk crates, and recently saw in Audio Advisor a rolling stackable storage unit for 100 records, only $109.99 plus s/h! (Do the math on that one!)

I need an affordable, presentable, expandable solution for my new habit. I have a few hundred records currently, and I seem to be adding 1 or 2 a week.

Pictures are appreciated, but not necessary. The more info, links, etc the better!

ps the doctor WILL be in tonight.

Here's a shot of mine. The thread you refer to had construction tips. Basically it's butt jointed 3/4 plywood with 1x2 poplar edges, nailed and glued. Routed the edges with roundover bit. There's a masonite back to keep LP's from sliding out the back. Top shelves adjustable for books.

post-10755-1381931463068_thumb.jpg

Ikea sells the Expedit line of shelves, which are pretty nice. They come in 2 sizes, the bigger of which is about 72"x72" and 2 or 3 colors. I have the big one and I think it was $179. Shipping may be prohibitive as it comes in 3 heavy boxes. There are several pictures on this forum from those who have them. I think the most impressive display belongs to charlieboy. I believe Parrot has one, and I think Wardsweb has the smaller one. I'm sure there are more.

Jeremy

Very very nice! Did you also attach it to the wall?

No, it's freestanding. Built it 2" shorter than interior door height so it'll just scoot through. Custom built to fit a wall in my old Speedway home, it fits neatly into this little nook in my new homes hallway.

Shelves are 13" deep and don't bow at all with the heavy load. That edge board is the key- really stiffens the plywood.

M

Is that Ikea stuff very sturdy? I thought most of it was particle board with flimsy fasteners.

The cost of my unit was less than 2 sheets A/B plywood, several lengths of 1/2 poplar, glue, paint and time. Not difficult at all. And it's about 72 x 72 also. I built it in a one car garage in the winter with a circular saw and cheapo router.

M

Ikea Expedit

product description & measurements

Bottom/ Top: Fiberboard, Printed and embossed acrylic paint
Filling material: Paper
Frame: Particleboard, ABS plastic
Fixed shelf/ Partition: Particleboard, Melamine foil, ABS plastic

no thanks, I like real furniture. stuff you can move once or twice and it not fall apart.

Clarence -

After reading the thread that Michael referenced above, I went and picked up two 2x4 Expedit units (the one pictured in Wardsweb's post). Next trip up, I picked up a 4x4 - same finish - for more albums. All are set up in the basement, and they look great. Easy to put together, and they also come with hardware to attach them to a wall. Only thing you will need is a decent amount of open floor space for assembly.

Even my wife liked the looks of them so much that she had me pick up a 4x4 unit in white for my daughter's room (in an attempt to get a little of her clutter off the floor). She loves it (since it's just like Dad's), and it looks really nice in her room.

Cheap, easy to assemble, and they work like a charm. They are a very good choice. My next trip up will be to score a CD storage rack.

Chuck

I used wooden shelving for years but about 4 years ago I bought three of these units from Boltz--they are fantastic!! I have two 3' wide units and one of the 2' wide units that line an entire closet off of my living room. The LP shelving is 10% off right now . . .

Boltz solid steel CD and DVD racks, TV stands, Lifestyle Furniture

http://www.boltz.com/showitems.asp?deptcode1=502