Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Nov. 20

thebes

Ah Turkey Day! Football and bloated stomachs. Who could ask for more.

WelI I could actually. Before I stuff my stomach, I want to stuff

myself full of fine music, and what better place to find it then here.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Little Anthony and the Imperials, " Goin' Out of My Head", motown, lp

Travel a moment with me back to the days of the young accepella/soul

motown rockers. Pop? Sure. Great music? Yes

indeed. The Imperials, like most, were four fellows, one was

usually the lead, and put out tunes that either got you dancin at the

local "sock hop" or feeling sorry for yourself when your crush of the

moment sent you down in flames.

Recording quality is bad on these type hits, but man the youth, the

vibes, the harmonies still come through. So head on down memory

lane if your old enough, or give a listen and find out what ya been

missin.

This album also has "What a Difference a Day Makes" still being covered by various groups and singers.

So what do you have to share this week?

I haven't been down here for a while, what the heck...

Neil Diamond: The Greatest Hits 1966-1992

Columbia CD

This isn't really a definitive set, but when you look at the track titles on the back you can think of every refrain of all 39 songs. Old stuff, newer stuff, I would guess the stuff he'd do at a concert. Not a show-off recording, but good overall, live stuff seems to suffer sometimes, especially older stuff. Good to play with company around for background, the 30-40-50-60-70something set can all relate it.

I apologize if this has been mentioned but today I picked up and am listening on the EICO HF-81 from the Toshiba SD-3950 through Klipsch Quartets Diana Krall...from this moment on...typical Diana Krall...well made CD, nice orchestra and nice pics of the lady herself...ahhhhh, Diana...[;)]

Bill

ahhhh, Neil Diamond ROCKS. He has a voice that makes a wolverine purrrrr.

My suggestion for this week would be Ugly Kid Joe, America's Least Wanted. CD

I don't know what the protocol is for suggesting cd's, this is my first one. The above cd just makes me feel good, especialy Mr.Record Man, it takes me back.

Running a little behind this week, but here we go...................This is a brand new release from an old Pro......................................

The Last Man Standing ; JERRY LEE LEWIS...the Duets...............just releashed.....

Thirty some years ago Jerry Lee Lewis did a studio album backed by many of Englands greatest musicans,"the Super Sessions", a fine album of Jerry's songs done Killer style, a must own album in any rock collection. Well, fast forward to 2006, and the Killer has done it again...............This is a great album full of great music, The Killer steals the show as usual...what a performer, how old is this guy, 80 something, and he can knock the snot out of a keyboard, never mind he can still sing, 21 songs, and he rips through all of them. From the opening song,"Rock and Roll" with Jimmy Page on guitar...to the closer with Kris Kristofferson this disc rocks. Many will call it country, some of it is, but don't be mislead, this is a great rock album. The names are here, BB King, John Fogerty, Eric Clapton, George Jones, and Willie Nelson to name a few. Some great versions of some familar songs..........This is the only New album I went out of my way to buy. I tend to stay in the 70's with my music, but I have to have the Killer...just something about the old fart that I really like.....cocky, bold, love his chatter at the end of songs..........Jerry Lee Lewis IS Rock History....his talent and contributions to Rock are second to none....SO, if you are looking for something new to buy, give this disc a try, it really is full of good stuff. I'll even bet this album puts a smile on your face.............It did for me, and the more I play this little jewel, the more I like it................Long Live The KILLER...........................

• 2 weeks later...

Running a little behind this week, but here we go...................This is a brand new release from an old Pro......................................

The Last Man Standing ; JERRY LEE LEWIS...the Duets...............just releashed.....

Thirty some years ago Jerry Lee Lewis did a studio album backed by many of Englands greatest musicans,"the Super Sessions", a fine album of Jerry's songs done Killer style, a must own album in any rock collection. Well, fast forward to 2006, and the Killer has done it again...............This is a great album full of great music, The Killer steals the show as usual...what a performer, how old is this guy, 80 something, and he can knock the snot out of a keyboard, never mind he can still sing, 21 songs, and he rips through all of them. From the opening song,"Rock and Roll" with Jimmy Page on guitar...to the closer with Kris Kristofferson this disc rocks. Many will call it country, some of it is, but don't be mislead, this is a great rock album. The names are here, BB King, John Fogerty, Eric Clapton, George Jones, and Willie Nelson to name a few. Some great versions of some familar songs..........This is the only New album I went out of my way to buy. I tend to stay in the 70's with my music, but I have to have the Killer...just something about the old fart that I really like.....cocky, bold, love his chatter at the end of songs..........Jerry Lee Lewis IS Rock History....his talent and contributions to Rock are second to none....SO, if you are looking for something new to buy, give this disc a try, it really is full of good stuff. I'll even bet this album puts a smile on your face.............It did for me, and the more I play this little jewel, the more I like it................Long Live The KILLER...........................

Buckster,

Just saw this for sale somewhere, Oh it was mentioned on the Led Zep site. Sounded like something I should get. The review I read said most all of the quests stayed in the background. If you think it is worthwhile It will have to go on my list.

Piney

As a matter of fact Piney, buy the album, if you really don't like it, I'll buy it from you..............How can you go wrong? I am that sure you'll like it, really. Any man who posts Super Sessions with Kooper, Bloomfield, and Stills, deep down has the Killer inside him. Rock music owes alot to the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis....................I could go on forever praising Jerry Lee, but the Album will speak for itself................

Good topic.

In my case there was a lot of travel. Standing in lines, waiting to start, waiting to get to an intermediate destination. Then do it again.

Someplace around Waco we popped A Hard Day's Night into the mini-van's CD player.

The youthful enthusiasm and quick beat pulls everything out of the doldrums. The song is particularly appealing because it speaks of the ubiquitous toil and is non the less supercharged with energy.

Smile,

Gil