I don't get it....pleez splain Denon differences!

I look at the Denon CD Player DCM 27 $250, and then the DVD 557 $170. Why would the CD unit be so much more?

Seems you have more capabilities w/the DVD 557 model (except the 5-disc changer).

As a CD player replacement I cannot fathom what the differences would be for sound quality purposes.

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

The DCM is a multi-disc changer, so there's going to be more money in the changer mechanism.

The DVD player only weighs 5 pounds 1 ounce, the CD changer weighs 13.9 pounds. Obviously weight doesn't mean anything, but it can have somewhat of a bearing on build quality.

There are many, many reasons why seemingly similar electronics can vary in price.

In that price difference probably won't have every difference listed, but typically higher priced units will be better constructed (ex, metal face plates), heavier duty trys, better DACs( one for each channel) be able to decode more formats including SACDs, better power supplies, better channel seperation, etc. The CD changer option typically is only availble in the lower end units, the higher units typically support one CD at a time.