Centers all the way around?

remdog

I was using my ForteIIs as fronts and bought a RC-5 as a center.

It never sounded right so I gave up and bought a low end full surround set from Aperion Audio including a large Sub (sounds OK).

I read on this site all the talk of timber matching and how the center needs to be the same class speaker as the fronts. So to get back to a klipsch setup I have 3 choices.

1. Get another ForteII for the center (this is too big for the wife)

2. Get some RF-5s for the front

or (Here's the question)

3. Get 2 more Rc-5s for the fronts (Cheap on eBay)

Why not option 3? Seems all the front would be an exact match and the sub can pick up the lows?

I've never heard the rc-5 but several on this board used rc-7's as mains for awhile & were very impressed. They turned the horn 90 degrees to use vertical & I believe stood them on their left end due to how that driver handled crossover. The rc-5 may be different but you can do a search, lots of info.

JT

Thanks all for the good advice.

I'd like to give the Academy a try but finding one is a bit of a trick.

I guess Ill wait a bit and see what shows up on the used market after the Christmas season. If nothing turns up Ill spring for the RF-5s (seems to be no shortage of them).

Ill let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

I was gonna say....I don't think klipsch ever made an RC-5.

Btw, the academy is hard to come by, but the C7 tends to be much easier. Both will work infinetly better than the reference lineup. The newer klipsch stuff is voiced entirely different.

• Moderators

I was using my ForteIIs as fronts and bought a RC-5 as a center.

It never sounded right so I gave up and bought a low end full surround set from Aperion Audio including a large Sub (sounds OK).

I read on this site all the talk of timber matching and how the center needs to be the same class speaker as the fronts. So to get back to a klipsch setup I have 3 choices.

1. Get another ForteII for the center (this is too big for the wife)

2. Get some RF-5s for the front

or (Here's the question)

3. Get 2 more Rc-5s for the fronts (Cheap on eBay)

Why not option 3? Seems all the front would be an exact match and the sub can pick up the lows?

To big for the wife, offer to help her put up there where it goes, that's all ,then she can leave you alone about it !... And you won't ask her to move it again ! [:o]