TV Help...

SilverSport

Hello,

I need help with the big screen TV purchase...I have looked at several, seen several that look great and vary widely in price...some opinions from you if I may (I have already done the searching):

720p/1080p/1080i...I know there is a difference in picture quality but do I need one or the other at this time???

I currently have "standard" cable but if I get a set that can handle it, I will upgrade to digital cable/HD cable/HD Dish...whatever...

I have liked the picture I see on plasma, Sony SXRD rear screen projection and Sony Bravia XBR2 flat panel LCD...kinda covers the spectrum, eh???

Your help will be appreciated in cutting through some of the hylpe and all out marketing by sales staff at different stores...

Thanks for any information you care to share.

Bill

meagain,

Yes...I have looked over there on AVS Forum as well...my older brother has a sweet Sony Grand Wega rear screen projection LCD and a Samsung rear screen projection as well as a smaller flat panel Sharp Aquos LCD...Lil Bro has a Sony Flat Panel LCD...

I was all set to get that 42" Panny Plasma that was mentioned here last week except for the 150 people in front of me at Best Buy Friday morning...;)

Looked at Fry's, BB and Circuit City...many nice TVs but wanted some more advice from you owner's too.

Currently using Comcast...

Bill

Another great place to look is tigerdirect.com

There prices are great and they have very good customer service. I have been buying from them for several years and have complete confidence in them.You should check them out as they have a huge selection.

scooter

I got a plasma from Tiger last week. I was apprehensive about having a tv shipped but for the price & free shipping... It arrived in Arkansas in about 3 days via ABF freight, no damage or complaints. I looked in the drivers trailer when I helped him unload, the freight was orderly with some on pallets.

• 2 weeks later...

meagain,

Yes...I have looked over there on AVS Forum as well...my older brother has a sweet Sony Grand Wega rear screen projection LCD and a Samsung rear screen projection as well as a smaller flat panel Sharp Aquos LCD...Lil Bro has a Sony Flat Panel LCD...

I was all set to get that 42" Panny Plasma that was mentioned here last week except for the 150 people in front of me at Best Buy Friday morning...;)

Looked at Fry's, BB and Circuit City...many nice TVs but wanted some more advice from you owner's too.

Currently using Comcast...

Bill

I have the Panny 42" EDTV............like it alot...............have seen it as low as $1199. it's worth that easy............you can spend more and get better, but us old dawgs don't have such good eyes...............or another way to look at it, for $2000. you can get a nice plasma...........I went to plasma because I can move it without help...............Panny, Sony, Samsung are all nice..............HD cable is good PBS-HD is great, Discovery HD is great also................Spend your money, you only live once.............Love watching the Cowboys in HD...................

yes...us old dawgs and the eyes...glasses for this, take them off for that...;)...meagain...I picked up the 50" Sony KDF50E2000 from Sears yesterday...a lady at Sears has sold electronics to me for years so I knew I wouldn't get the headache on price matching and all...I got them to price match Fry's which had the best price right now and then I got 10% using my Sears card...it fit in the hatch of my Mazda 6 and I could unload it, carry it in the house and set it up myself...

Watched a few movies last night...still not hooked to cable yet but trying out the DVDs...nice picture...

Bill

Bill, are you using component hook-up? Red, Blue and Green, I think that's it, if your not, you SHOULD, what a difference that connection makes. I used S-video, switched to component hook-up, like night and day............just wondering.....................ENJOY, boy tv has come along way, black and white when we were kids, then came color, now look at it ........................WOW.........................

Hmmm.....   I disagree with component myself.

Silver - How many DVI and HDMI ports does the TV have?   And the DVD, etc?   You'll die when you hook up to the cablebox.  :)   You've got the DVR dual tuner Comcast - yes?   Comcast just left.  Our box was going downhill so I ordered a replacement, but it was (besides being scratched, etc)  defective, but while they were here, they tweaked something outside (splitter) which improved things.   Seems every time someone comes out they ***** about the previous comcast people and what they did.   :)    

Oh - I need to order the "booster".  2 Comcast peeps told me the booster will drastically improve my picture.  I think it has something to do with the length of run of the cable to your home.   Tho' another Comcast person told me even if it's a shortish run - it could help.   They sell these for $25 bucks.

+I'll have to check on the connections...this is the first I have ever used component connections...I don't even have a cable box...just the line that comes into the house...I am using a splitter now so I can have two TVs...of course now I will need to get the higher end package, yes??? [;)]

Bill

+I'll have to check on the connections...this is the first I have ever used component connections...I don't even have a cable box...just the line that comes into the house...I am using a splitter now so I can have two TVs...of course now I will need to get the higher end package, yes??? [;)]

Bill

Bill, you can use component connections with your dvd player right now.......................you will see a difference.........go directly from your DVD player to the TV with the 3 plugs red, blue, and green...................if you have the connections, I don't know why you wouldn't.................

OB...sorry for the confusion...I am using the component connections right now...for the first time...my previous CRT didn't have that connection so I used S Video before...nice!

Bill

I thought S-video was good, but the component connection blows it out of the water.......Spend your money, you only go around once, Bud. I consider a TV entertainment expense...........TV's have come a long way in 20 years......................EH ???? Getting ready for DA BEARS playoff run??