Dana Moore's (D-Man's) SLS project well under way

popbumper

As many of you know, Dana Moore recently has released some interesting speaker plans, and seems to pull new ones from his "hat" on a regular basis [:D]

Recently I was sent plans for his SLS unit, and made efforts to "test the waters" by building one for myself and listening. As of today, I FINALLY have some photos to share. Unlike the veneered cabinets I have done, I am not particularly "proud" to show these, though I fell less inhibited in that this is really a first shot out of the gate, so to speak, and this unit in particular is a prototype. All in all, I can report that Dana's plans are well written and conceived, though I admit that there were some reasonably unusual syntax errors that caused me some minor problems. Being overzealous, I also assembled things in an order unlike his instructions, and I reaped the grief.

As of today, the bass bin is 90% complete; I've yet to install the top and bottom panels, as well as the speaker itself, the port tubes, and any wiring interface. I plan to get this unit together in the next few weeks and drive it; I do not think I will build the "top hat" and am unsure which direction the build will go after this, but driving the bass bin should be interesting.

Pics to follow, thanks all for your interest. Please forgive the size of the pics and the improper format, you get what you pay for, the intent is to share.

Chris

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys:

Yes, I used the CNC for all the cutting, but had to adjust things because of my own improper assembly [:S]. Everything is nailed with brads and glued together, and latex caulking is used throughout as well as wood filler as required.

Sorry for the orientation of the photos - I need to learn how to change them BEFORE I post or take them in correct format.

I have been working a bit today on this cabinet, man the sucker is HEAVY even without the driver. I am going to shoot the internal panels (horn openings) with black lacquer this afternoon, and then ultimately veneer the outside with an as yet undecided wood.

Will keep you posted on progress, thanks for the comments.

Chris

Chris,

I was going to shoot an email to you but the functionality of the new software isn't working quite right (IE or Firefox). I had emailed Dana last year and went through the plans for his Everest model (corner horn). There were some descriptions that annoyed me, and I just beat him up for making the corrections. Don't know if he did, but I also have the plans for the SLS. I want to build a pair myself. If Barbara and I hadn't been going through all of her cancer treatments, I just might have gotten to it.

I started using trig to firgure out some of the angles, and felt it would make for a cleaner build. I say some of this to just give him a hard time, and the ideas are really nice.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Ay guys:

Work continues on the bass bin. Much has been completed since we last visited, and I have done quite a bit of additional assembly. All that remains of the bass bin at this point is to:

1) Mount and seal the removable top panel

2) Wire the woofer and add a terminal cup

3) Veneer or paint the remaining bare wood

Without further adieu, more pics follow:

MOTOR BOARDS - Here is a side by side comparison of two motor boards I cut on the CNC; one has a six inch slot - note the predrilled holes for woofer mounting. The second has a three inch slot, Bob Crites's K-33 woofer, and felt on the throat baffle side to seal the motor board against it.

post-14415-138193178435_thumb.jpg

TOP PLATE - this piece has been carefully fitted to match the superstructure so that it is "seamless". What you do NOT see here is the weatherstripping that will go beneath the plate, and/or the holes and screws that will fasten the plate to the box internals. In fact, I more or less decided to make THIS END the "bottom" so that I can turn the speaker over and have a solid veneered top on which to place the horns. I can still have access to the bin if I need to, but it will be better "hidden" on the bottom.

post-14415-13819317861816_thumb.jpg

FRONT VIEW - here you see it coming together - a "preview" of what the listener will see. Note that the box is certainly UNFINISHED sans veneer and only partially painted; keep in mind of course this is a "work in progress" and will not be finished until adequately tested and proven. At that point, a second unit (and perhaps subsequent units) will get built. STAY TUNED for the follow up to all of this - I plan to get the system running by the New Year, and am currently investigating a variety of possible horns, crossovers, etc. for the top end.

post-14415-13819317866388_thumb.jpg