Refurbishing a Cornwall: Step ##1 K-77

Good2BHome

Who says: "You can't go home". I recently purchased a Cornwall pair that needed some attention, but the price was so right I could not refuse and they sounded great even with their "needs". In 1972 I bought new a pair of Klipschorns, but alas they were sold when we moved to a house they would not work in (about 1980).

The Cornwall's serial #'s are not matched but close: 24U701 and 24U753.

Step #1: Repair the one bad K-77-M.

Testing the speaker for continuity, gives an result of an open circuit.

My questions are:

1) How difficult is it to replace the K-77-M diaphragms? Is any one willing to walk me through the process?

2) Is it wise/necessary to replace the diaphragms for both K-77-M's. To my ears the other one is fine???

3) Are ALL replacement diaphragms actually made by Electro Voice? If there are others, are they any good.

4) Does anyone have suggestions for sources in addition to Klipsch for the diaphragms? or shops that will do the replacement for me.

5) Do the Electro Voice T-35 mounting holes match the K-77-M?

6) The serial #'s of my two K-77-M's are 48781(bad) and 19005. The numbers are pretty far apart, unlike the serial #'s of the other 2 speakers. Makes me wonder if the entire K-77-M was replaced in the past or if one Type "B" crossover may be bad. Is there a way I can test it? I only have a Digital Multimeter.

Having said all this "dry" stuff they SOUND GREAT.

Any and all advice is appreciated. If some will tell me how I will post pictures.

Mike

Funny you should ask this question....I just repalced my K-77 diaphragms last night (I have 1978 Cornwalls.). I observed the first one being done by a professional and then repeated the process at home. Not tough at all. If you order the replacements from Klipsch, instructions are included.

Free Advice (worth what you are paying for it):

- replace both of them at the same time

- be very careful with the voice coils they are quite fragile

- follow the instructions carefully..they are very informative.

Mike, Feel free to email for further details. Pictures of my Cornwalls are on this board under the topic heading "Cornwalls Arrived".

Regards,

Chris

cjk1026@ix.netcom.com

------------------

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR700 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCR

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1976)

Decware Zen SE84C amp

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

I bought two Diaphrgms for K-79 tweeter.

It's real simple to replace, they give you

instuctions, but be careful of the dome.

(Though the mid horn's dome is more than likely

harder than tweeter domes.)

I was kinda leary when I replaced these, but

its easy.

I'm sure the Diaphragm replacement for mid's

is the same way.

THANX!

• 2 weeks later...

The research was completed. Suggestion to future searchers: Search both diaphragm and diaphram replacement.

I called Electro Voice @ 1-800-685-2606. They quoted 21.70 + 4.00 shipping each. They would do the repair for 25.00 each, however they were out of stock. They recommended an Authorized Service Center in Dallas.

I called the repair center. Their price was 22.00 + tax and would do the repair for 12.00 each while I waited !! Well, for this price I don't need to learn how to do it (but I did). Yes, I did both K-77's, that seemed to be the consensus.

They will accept speakers in the mail for repair.

They are:

Freeman-Tuell Speaker Repair Service

7911 Ferguson Rd.

Dallas, TX 75228

1-214-324-1132

The K-77's are now installed in the Cornwalls.

They sound great and I'm preparing for the next step in the Refurbishment. Thanks to all suggestions both on and off line.

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

I received two diaphragms from Electrovoice, and no instructions were included. I'm hoping to replace them before Christmas. Which posts were most informative? Anyone have photos of the process? Anytime someone says "It's easy, you've just got to be careful..." it makes me a bit nervous. I'm most concerned about de-soldering and alignment (although there are probably more areas where I can mess up). It took about six weeks to get the parts (they were out of stock), so I'd like to get it right the first time. Anyone have those talked-about instructions in postable or emailable form? Much thanks!

fini

p.s. I'm a handy guy, just cautious.