Dean G: Bi-wiring tube amps and soldering connections

doctorcilantro

I was reading some posts in which you described the effects of biwiring may not be exactly beneficial for tube amps. Do you still feel this is the case for i.e. reactive speaker load.

I am using some Quicksilver Mini-Mites right now with bi-wired Risch design CC89259 on the 4ohm tap.

I am going to be shortening these cables when I move the monoblocks to the floor, and I was interested in your comments regarding soldering connections or at least replacing speaker terminals. I use bare wire on the amp connections as a result of shortening them and same on one set of speaker terminals; I find I can get the connections really tight and secure.

Anyone replaced the posts on the RF7s?

JC

P.S. Dean - you still doing the crossover mod for people? I still have your email with all the info, just trying to figure out when to do it.

Yeah, I've changed my mind -- I now think biwiring is idiotic period.:)

Any post will do as long as you can get it tight. So, I generally don't like anything with plastic knobs, and I'm not a big fan of banannas. I prefer bare wire connections. Speaking of Quicksilver, it was Mike Sanders who told me that he preferred barrier strip connections because of their low mass -- which is why he uses them on his amps. However, I can't remember what about 'low mass' makes them good -- just remember that he said it.

I accept work if I have the time to do it. Right now, it just depends on what's going on around here when the email shows up.

Speaking of Quicksilver, it was Mike Sanders who told me that he preferred barrier strip connections because of their low mass -- which is why he uses them on his amps. However, I can't remember what about 'low mass' makes them good -- just remember that he said it.

They cost less is my guess since he no longer uses them except on his least expensive amps[;)] low mass = low cost