The Curse of Drywall

damonrpayne

Yes, I am a broken record lately, but worry not, soon I'll be back to real posts.

After breaking my back/neck/arms applying and sanding drywall for a couple weeks, I suddenly noticed that I can see every seam in my entire house. Now, this drywall was done by a pro crew using large sheets, I saw it before it got sand texture and paint and was very impressed that I didn't easily find the seams once it was finished. Now that I've been staring at seams for a while though I can easily see everything with minima light even.

Why hasn't someone invented a better interior wall procedure? Maybe we should start using AAC in the US?

A good finisher is certainly is worth his weight in gold........it's hard work for sure.

30+ years ago my Dad who was always in construction said "someday they will invent some type of wall that can change colors in some way without all the tedious drywall work an painting involved" ...........Still I am yet to discover something different.

What is AAC?

It is definately an art form!

Perhaps they can develop an invisible seam phase change plastic panel suitable for use that costs less than finished wallboard. [:P]

While it doesn't entirely remove the need - and isn't really suitable for renovation work, on a side note I was AMAZED to watch some of the modular housing construction and assembly while in Japan and China. And to watch a LARGE elaborate building/house be assembled in a day with only minimal trim and finishing required was an absolutely astonishing experience. And the workmanship was INCREDIBLY precise! With the economies of scale it presents, I anticipate it becoming the model for the future here in the states - and they can do it in any design or finish you want! And you can put away the old notions you may have of the name...It ain't mobile homes folks!

But I both feel for you and commend you for your effort - and anyone else who has gone to the trouble to tackle such a job themselves! It is quite a project! And perhaps the supreme irony is that just about the time you finish, you will have gained substantial insight and mastered much of the technique - only to never have to do it again (if you are lucky!) [:P] There is an irony in there someplace, but I suspect that you may not appreciate just at this moment! [:D]

Mark you're right. I watched a plant in MO build modular apts for a developer client of mine. Straight cuts, more screws, more nails etc. & all

in the dry. Alot of hotels are being built "panelized". The biggest hurdle i've found here in the south is the "mobile" mentality.

Yes, I am a broken record lately, but worry not, soon I'll be back to real posts.

After breaking my back/neck/arms applying and sanding drywall for a couple weeks, I suddenly noticed that I can see every seam in my entire house. Now, this drywall was done by a pro crew using large sheets, I saw it before it got sand texture and paint and was very impressed that I didn't easily find the seams once it was finished. Now that I've been staring at seams for a while though I can easily see everything with minima light even.

Why hasn't someone invented a better interior wall procedure? Maybe we should start using AAC in the US?

"not in my new house"

"in the basement"

The small amount of drywall I have helped hang and paint ( tape and plaster done by a family friend ), it seemed as though the joints ( horizontal ) had too smooth a texture as compared with the paper. To rectify this, I put two coats of primer over the seams, and sanded the entire surface with 220 grit after the rest of the drywall was primed.

This ensured that the surface had an even texture and also very good intercoat adhesion, sanding after the primer and between coats of paint. ( I am kind of retentive when it comes to certain things like that ) The finished job was awesome. Kind of messy, but no more than the compound dust, and does not take long at all.

Most of the sucess in making drywall look good is that the walls are as plumb and straight as possible. ( renovation may require shimming with strips of 1/8 paneling or 1/4 ply ) Using a long straight edge is invaluable to figure out if there are shims needed. ( my brother's 20 yr old house needed lots! we even cut out and replaced 1/2 dozen badly twisted studs doing two rooms )

one reason I bought a home built in the 50's- the craftsmanship was better in many ways. I have two layers of 1/2" plaster board, with a skim coat over that. They are marvelous and not a crack or seam shows after 55 years.

Damon, you got a crew that was in a hurry or inexperienced. Drywall is a good system when hung and finished right. Surface texture can do little to hide poor finishing work. I feel for you Damon.

Drywall is a very good system,easy to use,heavy,don't burn easy and relatively cheap.All beginners(even those that think they ain't) have trouble with butt joints,it's what separates the pro's from the novice.My butt joints end up about 3ft wide and are not visable.