life span of phenolic diaphragms

Deang

"I don't think aluminum will get it Duke -- won't go low enough. "

The geometry of the Atlas PD5V is a phenolic copy of the aluminum WE555 which was rated to 100hz at 5W. The way they are built will go much lower than the JBL diamond type surround.

WE-555

I too run phenolics in my JBL 2482s. I have even more questions. What is being assessed when the resistance is measured across the input leads? A what rate and how much do these vintage drivers lose their magnetism? I know they can be completely refurbished but determining when that is worthwhile would be nice to understand. I have seen new old stock phenolics on e-bay for mine that seem to sell for around $80.00. But if phenolics degrade with time is NOS the way to go? New 2482 phenolics run about $300.00 ea. I have written JBL trying to get a service manual for these but got nothing useable. Anybody have a service manual for the JBL2482 driver I can get a copy of?

Sure, but the same problem: Don't know anything about possible degradation of performance due to age and abuse. Mine sound good, and measuring with an RTA shows them both to be about what one would expect to see out of them. I'm a bit prone to audionervosa though, so I decided to ask.:)

Dennis' plot kills me. I was under the impression that of the two diaphragm types (materials) available for these drivers -- aluminum wouldn't go as low as phenolic.

So, how long do these things last before performance is degraded. We'll assume the driver hasn't been abused.

AES OR RMS ? jOKE ha ha.

There are really only two diaphragms to consider aluminum and Pascalite. Some say the Aluminum has slightly better highs. At best it's marginal. The Pascalite has a different alloy and a carbon fiber former, allowing it to handle more power. The aluminum should be considered for home stereo only. They blow too easily for live sound use I'd have to ask what horns you are using? I HAVE used the Aluminums down to 300, but they certainly won't handle much power. The problem is the excursion. The diaphragm has to move so far to produce a longer (lower frequency) wave. So if you crank them, they will blow.

If i wanted to go to 300 LOUD I would use Phenolics.