Best "new release" of 2006---post your favorite here!

Allan Songer

OK, I know it's silly, but let's post our favorite albums of 2006. How about one "favorite" and two "honorable mention" choices?"

This one gets my vote as best album of 2006:

B000ERU2BQ.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V6443935

I've been listening to Danny for about 6-7 years now, mostly live with the John Heard trio here in LA and also with Dave Douglas and Vincent Herring on compact disc. Danny is a great player and I don't use that term lightly. His debut as a leader on Criss Cross is really a stunning acheivement, easily the best debut of the year and also gets my vote as best album. It was recorded in a single marathon session, as most of the great jazz albums of decades past were laid down. And the album harkens back to the great jazz trio LPs of the 50's--you know, the great albums from Red Garland, Bud Powell, Hampton Hawes, Three Sounds, etc . .

Here are my two honorable mentions:

B000E5LFEQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Andrew Hill, Time Lines on Blue Note

A master returns with a fantasic new album. Greg Tardy shows why he is THE modern master of the clarinet and veteran Charles Tolliver plays his *** off with his big, fat warm trumpet. I highly reccomend this album to anyone who loves modern jazz. You might find the music strange, but it's beautiful and if you give it a chance you will fall under it's spell.

B000CZ0PP8.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Chris Potter, Undreground on Sunnyside

Fierce, funky and challenging music. I bought this CD after one of his shows at the Jazz Bakery earlier this year. Hearing him play live has turned me into a BIG fan. This album SMOKES.

"Fox Confessor Brings The Flood" by Neko Case is far and away my favorite album from '06. BUY THIS RECORD!

Hey jdm

I am going to see Neko open for the hag in oakland in feb. I have not heard her but I have heard she desrves to be heard!

\

Ooh, you are one lucky sum-buck! I'd give Songer's left 'nad to see her live. (I'm sure that's his favorite one! [;)]) But seriously, she is the real deal. Not just another girl singer lookin to grab the brass ring. She is an Artist in the best sense of the word. Plus she's h-o-t! I see her every chance I get on RaveHD -- some show taped at a church in...Toronto? Somewhere in Canada anyway. And btw, it's a KILLER show. Her band is tight and soulful. I've seen it probably three or four times and will continue to watch it every time I get the opportunity! Yeah, I guess I'm a fan. [:)] Oh yeah, maybe if you're really lucky, she'll do in Oakland what I read she did at a show one time: slip out of her panties in mid-performance and drape them over her mic and proceed to sing through them!! [:P]