ZUNE

iwillwalk

ANYONE HAVE ONE, OR HAVE ANY INFO COMPAIRED TO THE IPOD

I played with one. The device itself is pretty nice, although not as elegant, in my opinion, as the iPod. If you like to watch alot of video on your device, the bigger screen of the Zune is indeed very nice, although it is the same resolution as the iPod screen. However, that software that goes with the Zune really stinks! I just don't like it, plus there have been numerous reports of it causing problems on some people's systems/configurations. Also, I am hearing the thing does not even currently work with Vista. Also, I don't like the way you have to buy "Microsoft Points", the minimum is in blocks of $5 worth, in order to buy individual tracks. Also, there seems to be a little bit of deception going on there by saying songs cost "79 points" each, wich actually translates to the equivelent of 99 cents. I don't particulary care for iTunes either, but I find it much better than the Zune software.

I am also not impressed with the so-called WiFi feature that this thing touts, plus good luck trying to find somebody else that has one to even try out the WiFi. You cannot even use the WiFi to synch with your computer wirelessly, or even buy/download tracks directly off the internet via a hotspot. Plus that DRM they use stinks as well - if you wireleseely beam a song to another Zune, that person only has 3 days or 3 plays, whichever comes first, and the song goes "poof". Even if they played just a minute of so, that counts as one "play". Also, you can't use the device as a dedicated harddrive like you can with an iPod (comes in handy at times, although my iPod is just about filled up with music - plus I love that I have third party tools that I use to get music back off my iPod, say I want to copy a few tracks to listen to at work - maybe that is why they don't want the Zune to be used as an external harddrive - would be to easy to copy music back off - on no, the RIAA would not be happy about that - oh Heaven forbid that I may want to backup my library somewhere else, or to listen to from another computer, like my laptop)

Also, the new DRM scheme they are using on the Zune is not compatible with any existing DRM schemes. If you bought music from iTunes, no way it'll play on the Zune. Also the same if you bought music off of Rhapsody, Napster, or similiar. But then again, in my particular case, I don't even bother with those crippled services - I get all my downloaded music off of eMusic - no DRM, straight-up MP3 format that I can copy and play anywhere, so that is not an issue with me in particular, but I do know several folks that have bought much a song off those other services. Don't know if this applies to you, but something to consider if you want to purchase music from any of those download services.

In my honost-to-God opinion, I am not to impressed with the Zune as it currently stands. I am sticking with my trusty ol' iPod.